I have a slight problem with my Dodge Charger rental car

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I guess im not really lucky enough to have had the "problem" of expecting my car to turn itself off when I get out of it. :rofl: But w/ the keyless fob I do always get exceptionally paranoid that ive forgotten to lock my car. When you touch the little pad on the door handle of the ST to lock the car it doesn't honk or anything, and it just becomes so routine that you don't even think about it after awhile so when im walking away from the car i can never remember if i locked it or not.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It's really nice knowing that I can stow a key away, and never be locked out of anything ever. I can wander around without keys in my pocket...if I'm going fishing and trudging through brush and shit...and not worry about dropping a key and having to dig around trying to find it in 4 foot tall grass and brush.

Yup, when we ride I leave my keys in the truck. It's great.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
To be clear, I'm not intentionally leaving the car on. I'm just exiting it like I would exit the Tesla and it just continues to run forever. I just did it again at the hotel. I walked up to it to grab something after being here for two hours and there she is, idling like a champ, ready for her next adventure. :rofl:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Not an insurmountable problem as long as you keep gas in the tank for when you forget. Really a stupid set up to have no notification the motor is running. Sounds like Chrysler.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
as long as the water pump is still running, let the fucker run over night then :rofl:

We used to have a 1984 Maxima diesel. In the winter it would be so hard to start my dad would go full diesel locomotive and just leave it running over night. True story.

Yup, when we ride I leave my keys in the truck. It's great.

Two things I don't understand why every manufacturer doesn't have: Heads up displays and the keypads on the doors.

Also, kind of surprising Ford doesn't lock you out of the keypad system after a certain amount of failed attempts. Since the buttons are shared there aren't really as many code possibilities as people think. Generally you can take the cheat sheet and be into the car in under an hour.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I don't think I could ever do one. With my car, if I run into the gas station with the car running...and someone decides to swipe the car. Have fun!! :rofl:

thats what i love about the remote start on all my cars.... pull up to the gas station.. put my foot on the brake.. press the remote start button, take the key out.. car stays running, and run inside and lock the door. if someone gets in the car, the second they hit the brake pedal without the key in the ignition, the car turns off.

excellent on those COLLLDDD days. :jg:

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
thats what i love about the remote start on all my cars.... pull up to the gas station.. put my foot on the brake.. press the remote start button, take the key out.. car stays running, and run inside and lock the door. if someone gets in the car, the second they hit the brake pedal without the key in the ignition, the car turns off.

excellent on those COLLLDDD days. :jg:

Remote starts are awesome until you have a manual car

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I think he's referring to the fact you have to remove safety features to be able to put remote start on your manual car

depends how you want it installed.. I have no safety features removed...

but I have to do a process BEFORE I TURN OFF THE CAR.. to have it set for the next time.

come to a stop.. make sure in neutral.. foot on brake.. open door.. foot still on brake.. press remote start button... let foot off brake.. remove key.. put key in pocket.. close door.. car still running.. press lock button on key fob.... then press remote start button.. car turns off, doors are locked.

If after that, at any point, someone opens the door or even UNLOCKS the car, the remote start is disabled until the above procedure is done again.

no way to have car in gear when getting out of the vehicle.

:dunno:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I think they always had that. I know baller 1995 Taurus did. 17515 was the master code and then you pressed another button followed by your own personal code.

Hmmm... IDK, I don't remember. When I was like 8 years old we bought a new 1999 Expedition and it had that and it blew my mind. Aside from that it's the only vehicle I or my family has owned with one. I set mine through the nav/entertainment screen. There's so many apps and stuff in my truck I don't even use or know how to operate :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info