3800 I have a lot of cam swap questions

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
So, what your saying is make sure the rockers arent shoving the retainers into the seals then?

I guess I'm not quite sure how much added lift the 1.9s give without doing some research but this could be probably be valuable information to someone looking at cam swaps.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Get the clearance do both lol.
So, what your saying is make sure the rockers arent shoving the retainers into the seals then?

I guess I'm not quite sure how much added lift the 1.9s give without doing some research but this could be probably be valuable information to someone looking at cam swaps.

stock rated lift/stock ratio*new ratio. These heads seem to stall flow wise at .5 looking quickly but you really want lift to be near peak flow lift/.85 due to the cam not spending a lot of time at peak lift.

1.9 is a lotta ratio though so I am not sure how that would play out. The thing to do would be machine the guides down for smaller seals. if possible.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Get the clearance do both lol.

sotock rated lift/stock ratio*new ratio. These heads seem to stall at .5 looking quickly but you really want lift to be near peak flow lift/.85 due to the cam not spending a lot of time at peak lift.
Lol I like the attitude, but I don't think there's much point without putting bigger valves in. I might be wrong about that though. Maybe Yates will come out with his "max effort" aluminum heads soon. $$$$

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I wouldn't particularly say I'm dead set on the idea but ill check it out. Surely more lift/duration is going to drop cylinder pressures reducing potential for knock and therefore allowing for more power but it's more a matter of how far you can push things before you have to take the heads in?

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
The st5 looks to be .544 .536 so that's probably on the hairy edge of things? So if you tried to run somethin like the intense nitrous/blower cam at .539 .562 you'd smash the valve seals out of it?

Also why would one prefer the intake valve to open more than the exhaust valve or vice versa when it comes to choosing a cam?

I'm just kinda trying to figure out what a guy could get away with and adding a little content to this thread for anyone that may come across it. Weird for me to be asking actual questions instead of just slappin somethin together til it blows I know :bowrofl:

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Also after looking up stock cam specs both intake and exhaust lobe are .413. Divide that by the stock ratio of 6 you get .0688, multiply by 9 and your at .6194

So, either my maths way off or we should be machining valve guides for 1.9s?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Missh it's really easy if you use an old valve in each guide as you go along you can use the old valve and the head spaced off of your workbench as a guide for stopping you at the correct depth but then you just Chuck a half inch drill bit in your drill and you drill away the top of the guide tell it stops on the end of the old valve repeat for the rest of them and then clean up with a small little 3-inch roloc die grinder read redo the chamfer around the outside for the seal install and walleye you have .1 inch more cam lift clearance

Reactions: GTPpower and sktchy

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Missh it's really easy if you use an old valve in each guide as you go along you can use the old valve and the head spaced off of your workbench as a guide for stopping you at the correct depth but then you just Chuck a half inch drill bit in your drill and you drill away the top of the guide tell it stops on the end of the old valve repeat for the rest of them and then clean up with a small little 3-inch roloc die grinder read redo the chamfer around the outside for the seal install and walleye you have .1 inch more cam lift clearance

Lol. I've even see people take an angle grinder to them.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
So, pull the springs, space the old valve .1 under the top of the guide and drill down til you hit the valve then clean it up with the die grinder? That seems fairly simple but you'd have to be fairly precision when finding a way to space the head off your bench to make it work. But say you left the head on the bench with the valves off and used your calipers to measure distance to your bench and took .1 off that? You'd accomplish the same?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Whoops, 1.6 would be even higher lift difference. May be thinking Ferd or something.

You'd be at .646 and 0.6365 with 1.9s and that cam. If you multiply those #s times .85 you'd end up with .5491 and .541 as the desired peak flow lift. Yeah, you're not gonna get even close with these heads based off ported #s I've seen. Definitely doesn't seem worth the headache. If you had heads that flowed near .55 I'd give it consideration but these just aren't those heads.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info