I had an idea today...hear me out; shared club member space

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I was thinking it would awfully nice to have a lift. What if we all went in a old gas station/shop rental? Something with 2-3 bays and a lift. Possibly a front office space. We could use it for meets, mod days, or personal maintenance. Users pay monthly dues and we share the space.

Just throwing this out there. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there would do their own work if they had the right place to do it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This idea is brought up semi often.

J-LO J-LO did something similar years back.

I kind of feel like there is too much risk for it and not enough upside. People stopping payments, someone left holding the bag, need for insurance, etc etc.

I've always loved the idea but have never dug deep enough to know if it's worth it.

It would be cool to actually have a Chicago Garage.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've always thought this would be a great idea too. But the logistics has always been the issue. I always keep an eye out for a little bit bigger commercial space than the storage unit I already have, and that I could move my lift over, but not much to find.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Chris91LX

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 2, 2008
Crystal Lake
I looked into this a while back. There were many industrial spaces open here in the Crystal Lake/Woodstock area, especially recently. Not sure how it would work with something like 2 lifts and 4 or 5 guys wanting to work on their cars. There's a place by me in Cary called RK Auto that rents access to their lifts apparently. I've never been there though.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I just picture a guy like me who starts a project with the best intentions of finishing it in a weekend and then 3 months later, it's still in pieces, and I've actually made backwards progress because I started working on something completely unrelated to the initial plan :LOL:

I've see this question pop up a lot in local forums and Facebook groups. It's too much liability and headache for someone who can't manage the space as a full time job.

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
When I get to my computer I’ll add some information on what to expect

IMG_2429.jpg

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
I was thinking it would awfully nice to have a lift. What if we all went in a old gas station/shop rental? Something with 2-3 bays and a lift. Possibly a front office space. We could use it for meets, mod days, or personal maintenance. Users pay monthly dues and we share the space.

Just throwing this out there. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there would do their own work if they had the right place to do it.

So ill break this down . this is different than what we did, our garage was more storage than shop.

Here is a list of costs and why you this would never work

1. Rent/Lease cost........... Fixed per month cost
  2. Insurance......... no waiver of liability is going to work here. you will need insurance to cover building, materials, and other peoples property while on the property It will have to be a business and not a personal place, otherwise they can sue you when it goes bad..........
  3. if you are allowing people to work on cars while in there, you are going to need a medical insurance coverage too.
  4. Utilities.......... Electricty, water, heat , internet (business not personal) tv? garbage, its an auto shop so you will need enviromental/disposal costs added in here too.
  5. tools, lifts, creepers, proper oil receptacles, air compressor. are you going to share yours? or expect everyone to have their own? if they need there own, how do you keep others from using their tools/lifts/etc?
  6. now you want people to pay monthly, but im assuming you will want as many users as possible to offset all these costs, so now you are going to ask them to "schedule" their time of use, if its me i dont want to wait in inline for something im paying for.
  7. Collection........ would think this would be easy. its not and is the worst part of the deal, they dont pay you on time, you are on the hook for that portion of the cost every month. unless you have deep pockets are you able to carry that burden?
The concept is great, I miss the shop I shared with others, but it was far from perfect. and it was far from being a smart money decision.

Thread Info