🔧 BUILD Mark's 2015 KB Mustang

General Information

Tonight I picked up the 2001 Mustang's replacement.

It is a manual Deep Impact Blue 2015 Mustang GT premium with the only options being the 3.55 rear-end, navigation, and the 19" dark aluminum wheels. I had initially thought I'd wait until much later this year, but I got impatient.

I worked with [MENTION=4923]The Beast[/MENTION] at getting it sent to his dealership from the Sandwich dealership. Sandwich is the only one that had the exact set-up I wanted. It was either that or a factory order. Beast did a fantastic job getting the Mustang for me, and he gave me a really good price on it. That's another part of the reason I bought sooner than later.

He told me this morning that he was able to get the car to his dealership by the late afternoon. So on my lunch I went to Chase to get a loan and that was it. I had a very positive experience with John, and I would recommend him to anyone.

Also, huge props to Mook for helping me pick up the car and then spending a couple hours driving around and helping me learn how to better drive it. I also have to give a shout-out to [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION] for also letting me learn the basics on his car.

My first night's, opinion? I'm in love with this car. It is awesome in every way. I can't wait to really get good enough to rip through the gears. I'm super-glad I went the way of a manual for this car. For a car that won't see too many quarter mile passes, the manual was the way to go for sure!

Here are the pics of my new ride:

IMAG0360_zpsetbdu9zt.jpg

IMAG0362_zpsqmmzud6g.jpg

17307383365_345eb00d2e_h.jpg

17307383305_112093bbae_h.jpg
Reactions: Flyn

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
SCT worded it like it was not traceable and left no footprint. I can't believe they'd make a claim like that being such a reputable company.
It would be misleading if it wasn't true.
Think about how many false claims are made by aftermarket performance companies. Ford can definitely tell if you've tuned your car, no matter what device you use.
You need to run the lopey idle tune. Contrary to what the internet thinks, it hurts nothing and sounds awesome. #posercommentsincoming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6layDL8L6Ow
It will kill your cats for sure

I thought the lopey idle tune will eat your cats.

Correct. Order some longtubes they're actually fairly easy to install. Just time consuming and a few tight spots.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Think about how many false claims are made by aftermarket performance companies. Ford can definitely tell if you've tuned your car, no matter what device you use.

Correct. Order some longtubes they're actually fairly easy to install. Just time consuming and a few tight spots.

It wont kill the cats. I ran one for two years on my GT/CS. Besides FRPP offers the red key that does the lope the same way. So theres that....

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL

It's probably the wording SCT uses. Maybe the dealership can't read it, but they send it somewhere that can detect the codes.

I might do long tubes next year. I think I should be done this year with mods. I've already done some suspension, tune, and a CAI.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
It wont kill the cats. I ran one for two years on my GT/CS. Besides FRPP offers the red key that does the lope the same way. So theres that....
Doesn't seem like tuners will offer the lope tune for cars with cats, or at least they don't recommend it. And people HAVE killed cats with lope tunes. So there's that...

I'm not a ghost cam tune hater, just saying why take the chance killing your cats if it's an issue. And iirc, the ford ghost cam tune is much less aggressive than what the aftermarket tuners do.
It's probably the wording SCT uses. Maybe the dealership can't read it, but they send it somewhere that can detect the codes.

I might do long tubes next year. I think I should be done this year with mods. I've already done some suspension, tune, and a CAI.
Do yourself a favor and look into some tuners that offer flex tunes to take advantage of the E85 we have in this area. I'm running a Livernois flex tune and the car runs awesome. Lund and several others offer flex options as well.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
What kind of gains could be had with my setup? Isn't it also a PITA to find places for E85? I guess I never really paid attention.

Usually tune and CAI combo will pick up around 30rwhp. Add another 10-12 hp for E85.

I've got a station a block away from me with E85 and several other stations in my area carry it so it was a no brainer for me.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Doesn't seem like tuners will offer the lope tune for cars with cats, or at least they don't recommend it. And people HAVE killed cats with lope tunes. So there's that...

I'm not a ghost cam tune hater, just saying why take the chance killing your cats if it's an issue. And iirc, the ford ghost cam tune is much less aggressive than what the aftermarket tuners do.

Do yourself a favor and look into some tuners that offer flex tunes to take advantage of the E85 we have in this area. I'm running a Livernois flex tune and the car runs awesome. Lund and several others offer flex options as well.
Ford had to tone down the lope to meet Cali emissions I believe. That should probably tell you something about the health of the cats with the cam tune.

Any fuel system upgrades needed for e85 on a a stock coyote?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Ford had to tone down the lope to meet Cali emissions I believe. That should probably tell you something about the health of the cats with the cam tune.

No there was a different way to achieve the lope that tooners were using. Now the lope is achieved by turning the cams like 50* out or something like that. I remember Shaun@AED explaining it to me. His and Lund's tunes atleast dont dump truck loads of fuel at the cats. Im telling you my last two GTs with over three years of having those tunes from AED, didnt have issues with the cats. I swapped to an offroad H on the first GT and the cats looked new. That was after running it for two years.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Does the SCT tune have different maps for Sport mode and such?

Tuners can custom set up the drive modes. They all keep the same drive modes. Normal, sport & Track. The tuner has some freedom to help throttle mapping, and auto shift firmness and what not.

For example, Lund has his auto car tunes set up to be very aggressive in Normal mode. Then the other drive modes are basically stock with shift firmness and higher rpm shifts at WOT. Whereas AED has normal mode stock except for WOT shifts are firmer and at higher RPM than stock. Then the Sport and track modes are aggressive. I actually prefer the way AED has it. But I am not looking to spend $600 on a new tune and flash tuner.

I will say I miss that way the tune was set up in my 2011 GT. AED gave me a performance tune and a track tune. The track tune was basically the same as the performance tune but it had all nannies turned off. So you didn't have to go through the 10 second process to turn off the traction control and advance track. It would be awesome to have the 2015+ GT have the Normal mode just cleaned up at WOT, the Sport mode be the agressive mode and then Track have all the nannies turned off. But it is not possible at this time. It doesn't sound like it will ever be available as it seems the advance track in not something they can completely bypass.

You need to run the lopey idle tune. Contrary to what the internet thinks, it hurts nothing and sounds awesome. #posercommentsincoming

Well, the gas mileage is shitty and the tip in can be rough.

What kind of gains could be had with my setup? Isn't it also a PITA to find places for E85? I guess I never really paid attention.

10-12 rwhp. Plus the car engine cooler, has a higher octane rating for detonation protection and is very smooth. I believe that it is so much smoother than the 93 octane tune is the computer isn't constantly adding and removing timing. It is well worth the effort if you have stations around you that has E85. Most E85 tunes are happy with E70. You get the same max timing. Then as the ethanol content comes up the timing down low and at peak torque comes in more aggressive sooner.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I have not tried the other driving modes to see if they have been changed. I'm guessing they have not and that the 'track' option is still the most aggressive.

I did use the 'rain/snow' setting this morning as the tires were jumping around on the pavement even with light acceleration.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

Zero fuel system upgrades are needed on the 15+ Coyote cars to run E85. Lund was saying 47 lb injectors were needed once an intake manifold was added to the equation, but now it seems like they're not requiring them. Livernois says no fuel mods with intake manifold.
No there was a different way to achieve the lope that tooners were using. Now the lope is achieved by turning the cams like 50* out or something like that. I remember Shaun@AED explaining it to me. His and Lund's tunes atleast dont dump truck loads of fuel at the cats. Im telling you my last two GTs with over three years of having those tunes from AED, didnt have issues with the cats. I swapped to an offroad H on the first GT and the cats looked new. That was after running it for two years.

You may have not had a problem with the limited mileage you put on your car, but it is definitely a concern it seems. Currently, Lund requires NO CATS for his lope tune. Not sure about AED, but I think he does also.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm still plagued by the Drive Mode Selection issue. I can get into every mode with the exception of Track Mode. I'd been doing some internet digging, but the closest I could find were guys that couldn't change modes at all. I can change it from Normal to Sport or Snow/Ice. And the cases where they couldn't change it, it was thought it had to do with some faulty active exhaust flap or something. I don't believe my year has active exhaust. But the car really comes alive in Track Mode and you can get a much better feel for the power/throttle response, so it's been a little bit of a bummer.

Greasy and I are going to get underneath the car in the next week and check for exhaust issues. I think I do have a minor exhaust leak, not sure if that comes into play.

My car did not come back from the supercharger installation (2017) in the greatest shape. I think the guy had his 'C' team doing the work. An aftermarket axle had to be replaced, some transmission cross brace bolts were missing or not fastened, and a newly installed idler pulley was misaligned about a quarter inch. That lead to the squeaking and pre-mature belt wear. I wouldn't be surprised if they half-assedly put the exhaust back on the car.

I was really disappointed as I had nothing but great experiences with that shop with the old 2V. I feel like he wasn't able to get the same quality of guys he had from where the shop was previously located. I saw him publicly complain about it (via FB) in the last year or two, so I think he acknowledged it had been a problem.

I don't really have any new pics. I need to take it to a place with a nice backdrop that get some cool looking pics. I don't really have anything done to the exterior to really make it stand out from any number of Deep Impact Blue Mustangs on the road.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I'm still plagued by the Drive Mode Selection issue. I can get into every mode with the exception of Track Mode. I'd been doing some internet digging, but the closest I could find were guys that couldn't change modes at all. I can change it from Normal to Sport or Snow/Ice. And the cases where they couldn't change it, it was thought it had to do with some faulty active exhaust flap or something. I don't believe my year has active exhaust. But the car really comes alive in Track Mode and you can get a much better feel for the power/throttle response, so it's been a little bit of a bummer.

Greasy and I are going to get underneath the car in the next week and check for exhaust issues. I think I do have a minor exhaust leak, not sure if that comes into play.

My car did not come back from the supercharger installation (2017) in the greatest shape. I think the guy had his 'C' team doing the work. An aftermarket axle had to be replaced, some transmission cross brace bolts were missing or not fastened, and a newly installed idler pulley was misaligned about a quarter inch. That lead to the squeaking and pre-mature belt wear. I wouldn't be surprised if they half-assedly put the exhaust back on the car.

I was really disappointed as I had nothing but great experiences with that shop with the old 2V. I feel like he wasn't able to get the same quality of guys he had from where the shop was previously located. I saw him publicly complain about it (via FB) in the last year or two, so I think he acknowledged it had been a problem.

I don't really have any new pics. I need to take it to a place with a nice backdrop that get some cool looking pics. I don't really have anything done to the exterior to really make it stand out from any number of Deep Impact Blue Mustangs on the road.

My offer just went down. Lmao

giphy.gif

Thread Info