• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

I changed my thermostat and I don't thinks done right

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I replaced my thermostat because the heat was mildly warm until after 20 minutes of driving.

I replaced it with orielys best 195 t stat. I replaced the gasket too. I basically removed the old and and installed the new one. I think I may have a air bubble in the line.

The gauge goes up when I give it throttle and goes way down during idle. What could I have done wrong? What should I do?

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
The little screw on top of the t stat housing allows you to bleed the system. Let it warm up and slowly unscrew it. Let the system bleed then tighten it back.

Fish

Reaction score
Yes it is. It lets the system bleed out the air you let in changing the t-stat. I replaced a line on my old 90 GP in HS and didnt bleed the system. I over heated about 40 miles away from home when I shouldnt have been there. :rofl: Lesson learned.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Reaction score
yea, warm it up open the screw(SLOWLY) then tighten it back up, repeat a couple time to make sure u get it all out

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
Son of a bitch I broke the gdmf screw when tightening it. Head popped right off. Luckly it was tightend.

It spewed out some coolant then I tightend it back up.

The gauge still climbs and falls during driving occasionally. At its highest point it will reach close the middle. There prolly is still some air in there. Ill drive it for another day or two and see how it performs.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket PCM? What was the thermostat degrees before?

Your coolant temps and fluctuation don't sound too out of the ordinary for a stock thermostat.

Mr.Tan

Reaction score
make sure you have your heat on so if there is any air in the heater core it gets pushed out

Fish

Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket PCM? What was the thermostat degrees before?

Your coolant temps and fluctuation don't sound too out of the ordinary for a stock thermostat.
Mine never fluxes like that. It just stays at its normal position after initial warm up. Which is a bit lower since I have the oversized radiator.

It might spew some coolant, but you need to let the air out. You will need a new housing now. Which isnt that expensive from a bone yard. Im sure KJ's parts might even have one. :hs:

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Do you have a tune that turns the fans on at 180* or the stock settings? That would make a difference here.

Fish

Reaction score
IIRC I left my fan settings at stock setting.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
When mine was stock it would creep up near the middle when idling, then drop down to the first quarter mark when the fan kicked on or started moving again.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mine was pretty steady. It never really got much over 160 though in the winter. Even with a 180*

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah, now mine's rock solid with the fan settings at 180 and the 180 thermostat. It never goes above the quarter mark, even in the hottest weather. I still have good heat, too.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I can't remember stock...it didn't stay that way long. I had my fans set for I think 185 on. I can check my tune at home.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I do have a canned dhp tune. Im not sure what the settings are on it though.

The fans do stay on after the key turn off. Maby it could be the fans kicking on and cooling it down...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom