I bought something from the dark side

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Nah, the Explorer will serve me well through winter, I'd imagine a plow for the burb would cost more than the Explorer AND its plow

The Explorer was always meant to have a limited life from day 1.

I know you posted about your plow services in another thread, but you never posted what kind of plow you got. Or maybe you did, but I missed it.

For example, if you have a newer Western plow with an Ultra-Mount system, all you would need to do is get the truck side mount and wired on both the exploder and the Suburban. From there, the plow will work with both trucks.

My 400 with an 8ft Western Pro plow (Ultra-Mount).

AzdcNTT.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I know you posted about your plow services in another thread, but you never posted what kind of plow you got. Or maybe you did, but I missed it.

For example, if you have a newer Western plow with an Ultra-Mount system, all you would need to do is get the truck side mount and wired on both the exploder and the Suburban. From there, the plow will work with both trucks.

My 400 with an 8ft Western Pro plow (Ultra-Mount).

AzdcNTT.jpg

It's only a Snow Bear 6'6" Winch driven plow (so manual side to side).

There's probably a bracket for it for the Suburban if I felt like pulling the plow.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
DARK SIDE CUZ IT'S A GM PRODUCT
HAHA
HAHA

HA

I GET IT
HA

HA

I seriously haven't purchased a GM product for even a flip, let alone general use, in a decade.

All the GM Cars I ever had prior were complete dumpster fires.

The LAST GM thing I 'owned' (Shared with an Ex) was a 1995 2wd Silverado with 216K on the clock. I have to admit, the truck was super robust and easy to work on and little ever really went wrong.

I had a brake line go out from Rust and that's the only issue I can recall it ever actually having outside of some super rare/occasional TBI system issues given it was the last year of that setup (Stumble once in a blue moon at throttle tip-in).

I know GMT800's are absolute tanks, and the drivetrain is robust, but its still going to be a learning experience for me given I'm use to generally troubleshooting Fords.

Once the primary issues it has are sorted out, I'll turn my attention to how to make it live as long as possible and stop any undercarriage rust from worsening.

It's reasonably clean for being a Midwest truck, but Rust eats everything it seems.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I just go off of what looks best for the money and typically the GMs I have looked at have looked better than the Fords I have looked at. Obviously out here lots of junk in general for older stuff so its kind of skewed.

And then you get into power trains. LS based anything is better than all others... I'd LS all my vehicles.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
And I see the other way and I worked on them for a living at one time.

However, if it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems. No manufacturer has made anything perfect.

With a few exceptions (my Caddy being one), I prefer K.I.S.S. I want what is simple to work on, simple to maintain, cheap to maintain, and I know will go well into the 6 digits. Typically GM small block V8's fit that bill.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I just go off of what looks best for the money and typically the GMs I have looked at have looked better than the Fords I have looked at. Obviously out here lots of junk in general for older stuff so its kind of skewed.

And then you get into power trains. LS based anything is better than all others... I'd LS all my vehicles.

For the money, an Expedition or Excursion are almost ALWAYS priced better than comparable burbans/tahoes (Diesel excluding).

But I've always said that I know the suburban is the superior truck. I've been getting the Explorer 'stout' over this year assuming I'd put it into the ground over the next 2-3 years, getting a good deal on a GMT Suburban is exceptionally uncommon.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
For the money, an Expedition or Excursion are almost ALWAYS priced better than comparable burbans/tahoes (Diesel excluding).

But I've always said that I know the suburban is the superior truck. I've been getting the Explorer 'stout' over this year assuming I'd put it into the ground over the next 2-3 years, getting a good deal on a GMT Suburban is exceptionally uncommon.

I tried so hard to buy an expedition when I had both my burbs, using your advice. Literally looked at twice as many fords as chevys and for the same money the expos always were less desireable to me. OBS GMs FTW.

And my first Burb I got a great deal on, the second one was okay but it was also a 3/4 ton so I didn't know what I was getting into there. I don't think its that uncommon. Right [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] ?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I tried so hard to buy an expedition when I had both my burbs, using your advice. Literally looked at twice as many fords as chevys and for the same money the expos always were less desireable to me. OBS GMs FTW.

And my first Burb I got a great deal on, the second one was okay but it was also a 3/4 ton so I didn't know what I was getting into there. I don't think its that uncommon. Right [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] ?

I liked my Expedition quite a bit, and still do recommend them for people looking in the lower price range.

I see 135K mile Expeditions that aren't completely roasted for under $3,000 all day long still online, while a similarly priced GMT800 is just beaten to hell with a quarter million miles on them.

It boils down to budget more often than not.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'm a budget buyer, trust me.

Some might even say cheap. Not one of my SUVs I have owned have been more than 3500 bucks.... 2 burbs, and the Jeep GC. I hesitate to include the MS as I had a inside line on that but it was under 3500 as well. Usually my complaint wit the older Expeditions was the interior. The GMs always looked better.

Thread Info