v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Not to "one-up" anybody here but....

Anybody remember Jost Boosted Performance's 3800 build for his GN? Don't get too excited! I didn't buy everything. However, he parted out the 3800 stuff since he swapped in a Gen V 4.3. I think the 3800 left a bad taste in his mouth because I got a hell of a deal. There are so many hours of labor and skill put into these parts it's insane. I don't know what I'm going to do with the stuff yet, but I couldn't pass it up. Eight hours of driving on a work night later, I've got it!

I have front crossover turbo headers, a very custom balancer/crank pulley with a custom trigger wheel and ability to run Grand National accessories, a RWD oil pan and pick up with an oil drain, ARP torque converter bolts and head studs, a brand new starter motor, and the best part IMO is the flipped L26 intake with HV3 insert, LS throttle body, and custom made fuel rails.
Jost Part Out 1-19.jpg

Jost Part Out 2.jpg

Here's what the car looked like in case you don't know what I'm talking about. The headers unfortunately may only work with the Turbo Regal accessories, so it might only make sense to have these parts in a GN or T-type. When the Camaro comes apart again, I'll probably mock them up to find out. A G-body was what I wanted to build before I settled on the Camaro anyway... Who knows. I might get fed up with the Camaro one of these days and switch platforms. Hey bs009 bs009 wanna trade? :LOL: I'm only kidding, but if nothing else comes out of it those fuel rails would be awesome on the Camaro. I bought the whole package for about what those are worth anyway. ;)

Dan Jost 3800.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yezus. My jimmies are ruffled.

Been following his FB page for some time now and its insane what he pulls off.

He's got some serious skill and patience. It was really cool being able to talk to him last night.

Once upon a time, I actually started building my own flipped intake. I just never finished figuring out how I would mount accessories. Then I stumbled onto the Camaro and it didn't make sense to use any of it. I'd sell this lower intake cheap if anybody else wanted to finish the project. I definitely don't need two!
Progress 1.jpg

Progress 4.jpg

Progress 3.jpg

Alternator placement.jpg

Reactions: TurboTJ

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Hey bs009 bs009 wanna trade?
The car is for sale haha. It'll probably still be for sale in a few months the way things have been going too..

Sweet score! I've seen pictures of a gen v 4.3 with GN cladding, kinda cool to hear where it actually went though!

Is there a lot involved with flipping the FWD L36 intake? I've heard the f-body intakes were the best flowing intake already but the fwd intakes look better IMO though.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The car is for sale haha. It'll probably still be for sale in a few months the way things have been going too..

Sweet score! I've seen pictures of a gen v 4.3 with GN cladding, kinda cool to hear where it actually went though!

Is there a lot involved with flipping the FWD L36 intake? I've heard the f-body intakes were the best flowing intake already but the fwd intakes look better IMO though.

I'm just messing around. I'd love to have another G-body to build up, but I'm greedy and don't want to give up any of the other cars I have. I don't have the space for another car either.

Normally the intake has two square coolant passages. They are joined and sealed by that little crossover piece that's held on with two bolts and a paper gasket. All of that gets in the way when you flip it 180 degrees. Notice that the intake is actually resting on the timing cover and lifted about a half inch off the heads.
Flipping 1.jpg

Original coolant temp sensor isn't going to fit either.
Flipping 2.jpg

I just cut it at a 45ish degree angle, but now that crossover piece has no way of being mounted.
Rough cut 1.jpg
Rough cut 2.jpg

I've also heard that area is a big restriction in the cooling system (I mean look at it!) so hogging this area out should help regardless.
Smoothed and hogged out 1.jpg

smoothed and hogged out 2.jpg

A very small amount of material was taken out of the timing cover to make it sit flush the rest of the way. If you cut much more out of the intake than I did, the patch job gets more complicated.
Shaved timing cover 1.jpg

Shaved timing cover 2.jpg

Once I was satisfied, I welded a little plate over it and relocated the ECT to the other side.
Alternator placement.jpg

Is it worth it? It depends on how much you want the look I guess. I've heard the same thing about the lower intake flows. The F-body unit is supposedly the best. However, I've heard that the F-body plenum design really sucks. I have no actual facts to back that up. It's all "he said she siad," but the lack of space for a better intake in the F-body makes sense.

I don't hate the look of the F-body intake, but I think the FWD has more potential to look better in a swap situation since it's much taller. The actual intake flipping was easy. As far as I know, nobody has come up with a way to mount factory 3800 accessories to it though. The T-stat housing and throttle body get in the way of factory tensioners, but I've seen that your no stranger to making your own brackets! The other thing to consider is the coolant elbows are no longer going to work. Yay? To me this meant welding some ANs in their place and running custom hoses. However,I thought it would be better to address that when I knew exactly where the engine would be sitting. Therefore, I never did that either.

Reactions: bs009
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list