• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

    IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

I am debating with myself

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Ok... Here's my situation. I will be getting about $275 cash this Christmas. My parents decided to get me some things and cash. I have a few options on what I want to do with my car. I want to get the short stack intercooler. Not the big dog. I'm only looking for mid - low 13s or a 3.25 pulley size. In the next 2 months I will be ordering the following. DHP PCM, 1.8 Rockers & Short Stack Intercooler.


In what sequence would the masters order these and who wants to get paid the big bucks to install product except the PCM of course
 

preussenGTP

Banned
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,498
Reaction score
0
Location
chicagoland
Originally posted by MIKES3@Dec 6 2005, 02:30 PM
Ok... Here's my situation. I will be getting about $275 cash this Christmas. My parents decided to get me some things and cash. I have a few options on what I want to do with my car. I want to get the short stack intercooler. Not the big dog. I'm only looking for mid - low 13s or a 3.25 pulley size. In the next 2 months I will be ordering the following. DHP PCM, 1.8 Rockers & Short Stack Intercooler.


In what sequence would the masters order these and who wants to get paid the big bucks to install product except the PCM of course
[snapback]105988[/snapback]​
hey Mike!
i wish you'd post the mods you already have. .IMO get the rockers,PCM and PEMs or headers then intercool it. i suggest contacting Ron Vogel for the install.
 

syP

Not Banned
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
29,891
Reaction score
15
Location
Downers Grove, Illinois
Mike... get some WBS PEMs for like $180... then get some 1.8 rockers. Then you will be able to use a 3.2" pulley. The way i have seen your car run, that should be sufficient for mid 13's. Get the SS intercooler then, and if you just want to stay with the 3.2", have someone with a 04 power tuner jack up your timing.
 

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
4,229
Reaction score
4
If you could find someone with a Powertuner, it could save you some cash.
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
OK.. Here are my exact mods on my car.

I have a Fender Well Intake w/ 9" cone, 3.4 pulley, 180* t-stat, 3" Down Pipe w/o cat. 2.5" mandrell bent all the way back to flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Now check this out. On a shitty day I was trapping 99-100 mph on race fuel (Cordova Race Track). The last Grand Prix meet we had on 75th I scanned my car with 100 octane and I was hitting 2.5* KR at WOT. Ron said to try and wrap my exhaust. He thinks its false KR due to vibration since there is not cat and what not. It was cold out when I scanned. Maybe high 30s low 40s. That scan kinda bothered me.
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Originally posted by MIKES3@Dec 6 2005, 02:44 PM
OK.. Here are my exact mods on my car.

I have a Fender Well Intake w/ 9" cone, 3.4 pulley, 180* t-stat, 3" Down Pipe w/o cat. 2.5" mandrell bent all the way back to flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Now check this out. On a shitty day I was trapping 99-100 mph on race fuel (Cordova Race Track). The last Grand Prix meet we had on 75th I scanned my car with 100 octane and I was hitting 2.5* KR at WOT. Ron said to try and wrap my exhaust. He thinks its false KR due to vibration since there is not cat and what not. It was cold out when I scanned. Maybe high 30s low 40s. That scan kinda bothered me.
[snapback]106010[/snapback]​

I forgot to mention I have a custom tuned PCM thanks to Mike Horist
 

SaturdaysGS

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
4,118
Reaction score
4
Location
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by MIKES3+Dec 6 2005, 03:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3
@Dec 6 2005, 02:44 PM
OK.. Here are my exact mods on my car.

I have a Fender Well Intake w/ 9" cone, 3.4 pulley, 180* t-stat, 3" Down Pipe w/o cat. 2.5" mandrell bent all the way back to flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Now check this out. On a shitty day I was trapping 99-100 mph on race fuel (Cordova Race Track). The last Grand Prix meet we had on 75th I scanned my car with 100 octane and I was hitting 2.5* KR at WOT. Ron said to try and wrap my exhaust. He thinks its false KR due to vibration since there is not cat and what not. It was cold out when I scanned. Maybe high 30s low 40s. That scan kinda bothered me.
[snapback]106010[/snapback]​

I forgot to mention I have a custom tuned PCM thanks to Mike Horist
[snapback]106012[/snapback]​
[/b]

If you have a custom tuned PCM you wont need to get a DHP.. you have PM ;)
 

Royalgtp

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
3,700
Reaction score
0
Full size IC..........

Get them used for around 700-1000.........

Dont get rockers yet.
 
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Guest
Rockers would be nice, but a good IC would get you farther. You can trap 103-104 with a full IC/PEM's/good tune. You'll probably need injectors (#39's). Run a 2.8-3.0 pulley (we're talking full IC).

With that kind of trap we're talking 13.20-13.40 on street tires, maybe a 12.9-13.1 on slicks. Rockers woudn't hurt, but an IC would be better.
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Dec 6 2005, 03:48 PM
Full size IC..........

Get them used for around 700-1000.........

Dont get rockers yet.
[snapback]106030[/snapback]​
Explain to me what the benefit of spending an extra 500-600 on a full IC. Whats the difference between the two? I want something basic. Like I said maybe mid - low 13s at the most. I do know th full size IC would help you create more power, but I'm not looking for anything extravagant.

Never mind I think Ron may have explained it while I was rambling
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS+Dec 6 2005, 03:36 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2005, 03:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3
@Dec 6 2005, 02:44 PM
OK.. Here are my exact mods on my car.

I have a Fender Well Intake w/ 9" cone, 3.4 pulley, 180* t-stat, 3" Down Pipe w/o cat. 2.5" mandrell bent all the way back to flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Now check this out. On a shitty day I was trapping 99-100 mph on race fuel (Cordova Race Track). The last Grand Prix meet we had on 75th I scanned my car with 100 octane and I was hitting 2.5* KR at WOT. Ron said to try and wrap my exhaust. He thinks its false KR due to vibration since there is not cat and what not. It was cold out when I scanned. Maybe high 30s low 40s. That scan kinda bothered me.
[snapback]106010[/snapback]​



I forgot to mention I have a custom tuned PCM thanks to Mike Horist
[snapback]106012[/snapback]​

Nick, I understand what yuor saying, but I dont think Mike can get into all the funtions that DHP can. I'll tell you one thing. I think I get about 16 MPG. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure seems like it with the tune I have along with my mods. I dont think a DHP Tune is no comparison to what I have done at this point in time. What you mentioned in your PM I think I may hold off on that for now.



If you have a custom tuned PCM you wont need to get a DHP.. you have PM ;)
[snapback]106018[/snapback]​
[/b]
 

TonzKnock-G

Well-known member
Donating Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
13,479
Reaction score
18
Location
Shitcago
Hey mike what rockers are you thinking about getting? (brand)
 

phat_ridegt

Well-known member
TCG Sponsor
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
3,351
Reaction score
1
Location
Ottawa
I have the ssic and i wouldnt buy it again, however for the money-its a great deal and a good i/c but if i could do it again i would get the w-body store one because i know that will fit under the ascd hood....thats the main reason i went with the short stack. with pcm SAME exhaust setup as you and a 3.0 on race gas i ran 13.69 with horrible trap speeds b/c of a headwind
 

zeez gtp

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
949
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook
just cause you have the full size ic, doesn't mean you haaaaave to try and run a 2.6 pulley. Do it right the first time, that way when the time comes, the power will be there waiting for YOU!
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Mike... get some WBS PEMs for like $180... then get some 1.8 rockers.
SYP, This is one of the routes I am going to go. I forgot about these. Good Eye.


Hey mike what rockers are you thinking about getting? (brand)

Tony, I want to go with the ZZP 1.8 rockers. I took a look at the package deal over at PFYC.com but I did not study the $$$ to see if it was a good deal as of yet.
 

syP

Not Banned
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
29,891
Reaction score
15
Location
Downers Grove, Illinois
to be safe are you gonna get a set of mild springs to compliment those rockers (even tho they arent NEEDED)
 
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Guest
Since it's newer, if you did reworked rockers springs aren't needed. If you do aftermarkets definately get springs. Either way stay away from oil restricted pushrods. I've changed my thinking on springs lately. I suspect the aftermarket rockers such as the Intense Gen3's, and the ZZP's may not allow enough oil on the springs to cool them down, and eventually leading to fatigue. It didn't make much sense that just the harmonics were causing the need for higher spring rates on the Gen 3's, since they are lighter than stockers.
 

TonzKnock-G

Well-known member
Donating Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
13,479
Reaction score
18
Location
Shitcago
Does anyone have reworked rockers from zzp or wbody?? If so how do you like them as far as quality and performance??

Sorry mike not trying to hijack your thread. ;) I though maybe you might be interested also.
 

Fish

From the mean streets....
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
36,102
Reaction score
16
Location
Chiraq
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Dec 7 2005, 11:00 AM
Since it's newer, if you did reworked rockers springs aren't needed. If you do aftermarkets definately get springs. Either way stay away from oil restricted pushrods. I've changed my thinking on springs lately. I suspect the aftermarket rockers such as the Intense Gen3's, and the ZZP's may not allow enough oil on the springs to cool them down, and eventually leading to fatigue. It didn't make much sense that just the harmonics were causing the need for higher spring rates on the Gen 3's, since they are lighter than stockers.
[snapback]106196[/snapback]​
I disagree with you on the springs. I have rewored ER rockers and got valve float at 5900 RPMs. Thats with reworked stockers that arent even 1.9s. FWIW.
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Originally posted by tonzcompg04@Dec 7 2005, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have reworked rockers from zzp or wbody??  If so how do you like them as far as quality and performance??

Sorry mike not trying to hijack your thread. ;)  I though maybe you might be interested also.
[snapback]106204[/snapback]​

By all means my man. The more info the better. You not hijacking.
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Originally posted by MIKES3+Dec 7 2005, 12:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tonzcompg04
@Dec 7 2005, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have reworked rockers from zzp or wbody??  If so how do you like them as far as quality and performance??

Sorry mike not trying to hijack your thread. ;)  I though maybe you might be interested also.
[snapback]106204[/snapback]​

By all means my man. The more info the better. You not hijacking.
[snapback]106230[/snapback]​
[/b]


It kind of sounds like rockers are not a good idea. Any one else have that feeling?
 

Royalgtp

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
3,700
Reaction score
0
Save money on the rockers/springs/etc and invest it in the IC FIRST.


TRUST ME TOO!!!!!!!
Once you feeel the power you will want more and swap out a SSIC very soon. You are already doing all the work and plumbing, do it once and be done.

The IC and DHP and you will be flying......then get some rockers, headers, etc....


The IC I use to have made my car extremly fast.....it was fun back in the day.
I miss it a llittle... :(
 

MIKES3

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
3,829
Reaction score
2
Location
Gilberts, Illinois
Originally posted by syP@Dec 7 2005, 12:49 PM
whynot mike?  Dont let "valve float" scare you.. if you got the extra money.. get a set of 95 or 105lb springs to be safe... you will not regret it




plus.. rockers lets you do this...

http://1997gtp.net/Videos/SSR/schaumburg_street_racing.wmv

:lol:  :)
[snapback]106257[/snapback]​
SYP are you saying that if I get the better springs are dont have to worry about valve float. I think I am going to go for the IC first
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom