I <3 brown trans fluid

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I think the GTP is gonna need a trans. Fluid is SHITTY brown and I have the 4th gear bounce thing going on... which might be fixed by a mere valve body replacement, but something tells me I won't be that lucky.

So what's the best option for replacing/fixing this thing? Where can I source a valve body for this trans and is it a real PITA to install? :dunno:

Thanks for any ideas, folks.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Damnit all I hate hearing about trans problems in these cars. Not good.

If you need a rebuilt I can get one done for you for a very competitive price. You can choose from stock rebuild or use higher end parts. I would suggest checking this out if your trying to save a penny or two.

Otherwise Mr. Tripleedgeperformance is the craze for transmissions. If you have the $$$$ I definitely go with them.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Just find a lower mileage gt trans and swap over your diff and cover. You get 3.29 gears and a higher stall for less than $300. At least that's how much I found them for 2 years ago.

Source for said GT trans? Junkyards?

Also when my trans blew I searched all the junk yards in the area. I wouldnt trust a damn thing from them. They could tell you the trans has 31K on it when it really has 125K. I just dont like the sound of it.

If your going to do it you have to do it right.

I hear your concern man, but as someone stated earlier, I don't want to drop more money in the trans than I did on the whole car! What's a stock rebuild run from this source you are recommending?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's cheap and it's an upgrade it's a win win situation. Same parts just a "weaker" diff when you do jackass ricer burnouts you might be able to break it. I can't wait for the trans to fall out of my DD so i can stick a gt trans in there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I would change the fluid and see if it acts better. :dunno:

u-pull-it in aurora does sell transmissions for $100 apparently, but I wouldn't buy one from a junkyard knowing nothing about it. I mean, you could put it in the car and it could be already bad. :rollpicard:

that is the absolute laaaaaaaaaaast thing i would do.

changing the fluid-bad-bad-bad-bad idea IMO if its this far along... normally that final change is the last nail in the coffin... ask devin about when he changed his tb'ss after it started to slip... metal particles and shit in the trans fluid are prolly the only things keeping the car moving at this point... regular tranny fluid changes are a good idea... if they are just that- regular... start getting out of rhythm and its no good. im willing to bet it has never been done on that pricks... and i would not do it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info