I <3 brown trans fluid

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
alright so the cooler lines on a 99 have one thread in fitting (into trans) and one snap ring fitting (on the radiator side). I think earlier cars have a thread in fitting on both sides of the lines. I ended up having to buy new transmission cooler lines for the regal when I put an 02 trans in it, so that both ends are snap ring style. I think I paid 64 bucks total for the lines. gotta shop around dealerships for good prices. I got mine at Hoskins chevrolet. one of the best places... plus with new lines you can crank the line pressure and not worry...

there is a white GS at aurora with trans still in it. not separated from the motor so it should be ok still. either way it's $100 if you get it out yourself. the car had an interior fire, and halfway decent stock lim gaskets so my best bet is that trans is good and around 90k miles or less. pleanty of other cars there too that still have transmissions, some burned cars as well, which I am sure transmissions are still good in.

the passenger side axle needs to be changed IIRC when going to a 3.29 trans with an HD diff, but you already have the correct axle so you wouldn't need to change it.

james would know best about trans differences... as usual. I dont know if the 04's have an internal range switch or not...

I have a trans in the backyard that needs a rebuild...

fuck transmissions.

Dude, I hear that.

Thanks for all the 411. I need to re-read this entire thread when I get home and digest it all... then come up with a game plan.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
There is additional items need to make some 03+ transmissions to work.
We installed an 05 transmission in a 97 monte and had to use a 2003 GP/regal pcm to make it work. 2003 was also the only year the new(03+) PCM hardware can be found in the 98-2003 style PCM. Trans lines are slightly different.
Range swich had to be swapped as well to work with the old harness.

Shit's starting to sound complicated... :picard:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Also, Dan D. Check this info:

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E_Transmission_Info.html

Tach bounces up and down a few hundered rpm while cruising in lockup:
Another common problem / concern of this transmission and more pronounced with added engine power or higher mileage. This generally happens when the valve body has excess wear in the TCC valve area. Excessive fluid leakage in this area of the valve body causes TCC apply pressure loss and can lead to uncontrollable TCC operation which causes the engine rpm to bounce up and down a bit. This problem is noticed most after driving a while and speeds between 42 and 70mph and in 4th gear. There are other causes to this problem that can be from worn or shrunken teflon seals on the input shaft, a bad o-ring on the input shaft that seals in the torque converter, a faulty torque converter clutch, and even a bad pressure control solenoid. Another common occurance is a worn out sleeve in the channel plate that supports the input shaft. When this sleeve wears the input shaft will get chewed up where the sealing rings are and cause problems. Commonly code P0741 will be found in the pcm memory as a stored code and is described as Torque Converter Clutch Stuck Off. When this happens adaptives shifts are disabled, TCC operation is disabled, and 4th gear can be disabled. Generally a new or reman / repaired valve body will correct this condition and a new EPC solenoid is always suggested as well. The TCC/PWM solenoid is rarely ever at fault and I am yet to find one bad. Again the valve body is the common cure BUT not always the culprit and certainly not the whole problem after this has been happening for a while. Any time a torque converter fails there will be debris going back into the trans. There is a pressure relief valve in the channel plate that will collect debris from a bad torque converter and reduce cooler flow, cause trans to run hot, and greatly effect TCC operation and can destroy a new converter in a matter of miles if this isnt carefully inspected or upgraded. The best way to verify proper operation as commanded by the pcm is with a scan tool by viewing TCC slippage rpm, TCC duty cycle, EPC data, and checking any codes and making sure the engine is running properly and a misfire is not a false sense of a torque converter problem or shudder.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
I like parts in my driveway. :pedobear:

Now I just need someone who has done a trans in one of these cars... I'll be damned if I didn't want to wrench on this car too. Guess that's part of the deal when you buy a tired ass 145k mile car. :sigh:

If the trans is the same year(era) it will work by swapping the items listed in previous posts. Its been done countless times now and have had it on my personal cars. Its nothing you cant handle. Your dif will work fine(given its not broken already). It only gets complicated when you swap parts that were never designed for use in that year/make/model.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info