I <3 brown trans fluid

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Explain this "diff" situation for me. Is the diff a separate part from the trans? Can I reuse my existing diff?

BTW, when KJ says "when the trans is this far along don't change the fluid"... dude knows what he's talking about. Never ever change fluid on an auto that's on the way out. It only accelerates the inevitable failure.

I checked fluid levels last night, and I'm sure I pulled out a small piece of clutch friction material on the dipstick. :rofl: Needless to say, I've stopped beating on the car for now... :wtc:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Explain this "diff" situation for me. Is the diff a separate part from the trans? Can I reuse my existing diff?

BTW, when KJ says "when the trans is this far along don't change the fluid"... dude knows what he's talking about. Never ever change fluid on an auto that's on the way out. It only accelerates the inevitable failure.

I checked fluid levels last night, and I'm sure I pulled out a small piece of clutch friction material on the dipstick. :rofl: Needless to say, I've stopped beating on the car for now... :wtc:

im quite certain you can use your existing diff... as long as its still good...

You can use the hd diff out of the gtp trans in your car, and IDK about the 04's i completely forgot about the trans being different. Damn...

im not 100% sure... thats just hearsay... but IIRC something about them is different.. hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can enlighten us all as to if I've got it right, or if I'm blowing smoke.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
call staffords auto salvage a local shop i use to work for always got the motors and trans from them and haven't gone bad to date and if they do they give u warranty with it as well u cant go in the yard though http://www.staffordsautoparts.com/

Thx for the URL! I'll give them a call later today to see what they have available.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Well there are other differences but to make it work in your car you have to swap those otherwise your drivers axle I dont think works. But steeper gears and higher stall for cheap is hard to pass up.

I like this plan... just not clear on what exactly needs to be done.

Anyone know of a link @ CGP or GPF that shows how to do this swap? :hsugh:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
alright so the cooler lines on a 99 have one thread in fitting (into trans) and one snap ring fitting (on the radiator side). I think earlier cars have a thread in fitting on both sides of the lines. I ended up having to buy new transmission cooler lines for the regal when I put an 02 trans in it, so that both ends are snap ring style. I think I paid 64 bucks total for the lines. gotta shop around dealerships for good prices. I got mine at Hoskins chevrolet. one of the best places... plus with new lines you can crank the line pressure and not worry...

there is a white GS at aurora with trans still in it. not separated from the motor so it should be ok still. either way it's $100 if you get it out yourself. the car had an interior fire, and halfway decent stock lim gaskets so my best bet is that trans is good and around 90k miles or less. pleanty of other cars there too that still have transmissions, some burned cars as well, which I am sure transmissions are still good in.

the passenger side axle needs to be changed IIRC when going to a 3.29 trans with an HD diff, but you already have the correct axle so you wouldn't need to change it.

james would know best about trans differences... as usual. I dont know if the 04's have an internal range switch or not...

I have a trans in the backyard that needs a rebuild...

fuck transmissions.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just find a lower mileage gt trans and swap over your diff and cover. You get 3.29 gears and a higher stall for less than $300. At least that's how much I found them for 2 years ago.

that is an option but you need the flywheel drilled for the bolt pattern the TC from a GT uses. Fully built transmissions are expensive but when you compare Triple Edge's prices to other vendors its quite a deal for what you get.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
There is additional items need to make some 03+ transmissions to work.
We installed an 05 transmission in a 97 monte and had to use a 2003 GP/regal pcm to make it work. 2003 was also the only year the new(03+) PCM hardware can be found in the 98-2003 style PCM. Trans lines are slightly different.
Range swich had to be swapped as well to work with the old harness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info