NEW RIDE I’m still Jenny from the block - Premium Mike K content

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Update on this one. Turns out this isn't really a job you should plan on doing unless you purchased your car from someone who's confidence outpaced their skill. You see, it turns out that while chasing an oil leak that actually was a warped valve cover, the previous owner did a little digging of his own and started to pull the cam cradle before quickly realizing he was going to need to remove the engine and quickly noping the hell out of there. But he didn't nope out of their quickly enough. In loosening the bolts for the cam cradle, he noticed the gasket was quite brittle. Now this wouldn't generally matter on a part like this unless you say... started picking at it. Which he did. And since the cradle was no longer torqued to the head, he decided to remove a chunk of the brittle area and fill it with... wait for it... Audi engine sealant. The only problem is that Audi engine sealant is designed for this type of use and oh yeah, there's a high pressure oil channel a couple millimeters away.

Yada yada yada... The cam cradle is leaking really bad. I don't have time to do this so I kicked it over to a local German tech who was able to remove it with the engine in the car. Took a lot of subframe and engine manipulation apparently. But he got it done. We're oil-free now.

Reactions: Jon01 and crooks

Thread Info