Hybrid Mustang coming next year

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Ya'll are the same people that wouldn't trade in their horse for a horseless carriage.

I tried one of the hybrid Fusions (I think it was a Fusion it was certainly a Ford) and it about scared the hell out of me getting out of a parking lot in a hotel. I was on a hill and the car kinda rolled around until its engine kicked in. I realize that's probably something you get used to and acclimated to the learning curve, but it's still very unnatural feeling and made me nervous when I'm in a rental and feel like I'm about to hit another car. I'm of the opinion that there's still some refinement to go based on that very limited experience with it. It's not quite like a standard gasser where you just throw it into gear and it "rolls" right or you slip the clutch a bit and make it go where you want to. I wouldn't want to try to pull one out of a parallel parking spot on a hill with someone behind me that's for sure.

I think the concept is cool though and for performance cars. What would be funny is to put a micro V8 (something in say the 3-3.5L range) in for the noise/appeal and then have they hybrid provide the go.

In reality I'm betting the future would be more like Volvo's unified engine setup. Depending on the power needs they use a 2L engine that's turbo, twincharged or hybrid producing 245, 320 or 400hp respectively. I think that petrol will die out slower than straight electric fans will give credit to but hybrid will take a huge portion of the market in the mid to longer run especially in higher trim levels. Part of this will be driven by the costs around emissions certification; If you can skip a whole "size" of engine emissions wise you can probably save billions in emissions certs, development (e.g. skip making a V6 and have a 4, 4 hybrid and a V8 or make a 4 and a V6 and a hybrid V6 and then skip the V8) and perhaps CAFE fines.

You put a deposit on a 2020 GT500?

:bowrofl:

Wouldn't that be like 150 the way things are going?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info