• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical HP Tuners update question

Kizzlebizz

Regular
Oct 26, 2020

All you need is that and an ELM327 which he links.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm a bit disappointed that I sold my DHP. The guy who bought my Tech2 was telling me that despite being out of the V6 stuff, he uses the VIN manager on his DHP for his LS stuff all the time. I wish I was able to figure that out. Either updated HPT was too smart or I was missing a step on the DHP side.

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
So I went to pull the tune file out of my car this morning, only to find out from HP Tuners that my MPVI1 device is not compatible with Windows 11????

WTF is this bullshit?

Anyone else on here run into this? Is there a backdoor or a workaround?
oooof

Yeah, that's gonna get a lot of people upset. I'm sure there are old drivers you'll have to download, but I'm not smart enough to figure that out. I'd probably ask the HPT facebook page.

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
They are ending support for the MPVi1.

If you update computer of software you will be locked out. EPA hold is forcing it. Hence why they continue to require internet connection for flashing.

Only way is old software and old computer.
I may have an old laptop that still has it on there....it's slow as fuck though which is why I upgraded.

Guess it's worth a shot, otherwise I'm at their fucking mercy.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So I went to pull the tune file out of my car this morning, only to find out from HP Tuners that my MPVI1 device is not compatible with Windows 11????

WTF is this bullshit?

Anyone else on here run into this? Is there a backdoor or a workaround?
you can get around it in a few ways.

easiest is to buy an older used laptop or install an older version of windows.

You can also run a virtual machine of an older windows within windows 11.

unfortunately not just plug and play, but I was able to get HPT working on a linux chromebook running a windows VM.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I may have an old laptop that still has it on there....it's slow as fuck though which is why I upgraded.

Guess it's worth a shot, otherwise I'm at their fucking mercy.
uninstall anything you dont need on that and do some cleanup. itll speed it up.

Make it a dedicated tuning laptop and never connect it to the internet once it is working with your car.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Also anyone who is in this position, MAKE AN IMAGE OF YOUR OS DRIVE NOW!

Back it up in a few places. If the laptop takes a shit, you have a way to restore the software.

That is one advantage of running it in a VM. after you deal with the USB passthrough, you can literally copy and paste that VM onto another computer and have it running HPT easily going forward.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Also anyone who is in this position, MAKE AN IMAGE OF YOUR OS DRIVE NOW!

Back it up in a few places. If the laptop takes a shit, you have a way to restore the software.

That is one advantage of running it in a VM. after you deal with the USB passthrough, you can literally copy and paste that VM onto another computer and have it running HPT easily going forward.

i could probably just copy everything to my google drive right?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i could probably just copy everything to my google drive right?
yes but I wouldnt rely on just that. Plus if its an OS image, it might be 50-100GB+ depending on your install.

3-2-1

3 backups, 2 locations, 1 offsite.

google drive would be your offsite. I would then use a couple USB hard drives or copy it to another computer too for safe keeping.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yes but I wouldnt rely on just that. Plus if its an OS image, it might be 50-100GB+ depending on your install.

3-2-1

3 backups, 2 locations, 1 offsite.

google drive would be your offsite. I would then use a couple USB hard drives or copy it to another computer too for safe keeping.

i have 2tb of storage there so i think that's ok

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info