3800 HP tuner

Ok here's the deal. My friend has a T/A I have a GTP, we were both thinking of splitting the cost of an HP tuner. On a scale of 1 to 10 Im probably a 3 when it comes to knowing every last detail in tuning, my friend knows more than me but neither of us has owned something like this. Ive read on the site before that many of you use a product like this.

My question to everyone is;
1. how easy is it to learn how to use this program
2. Can you use it on two different computers, i.e. laptop and home computer
3. Just wanted to hear some input of what everyone has experienced with this.

Heres the site i saw it on if any of you want to check it out or were wondering what tuner i was talking about. I hear that they are coming out with a newer version soon. Do we have to wait for the new one or can we buy the older version and download the new one for free? Thanks for all your input

http://www.hptuners.com/

Jeremy

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
1. Once you get the basics down it's not that difficult... I woudln't say easy... but it's not hard to do basic tuning (while not V6 specific, www.ls1tech.com under the PCM tuning section I have several stickies that can give you a feel for what you need to look at when tuning... also on www.fullthrottlev6.com there's a decent PCM tuning section)
2. Yes, you get 1 cable, but the software can be installed on multiple computers... example... I have my car laptop, and i have my desktop... I'll do some late night tweaking inside off the .bin file I downloaded and the scans I aquired.
3. I've used HPT for my Trans Am since it first came out in Aprilish 2004 and love it... I came from the days of LS1 Edit where the software was VIN locked (or PCM locked rather... if you wanted to tune another car you had to send your cable back to have a new license added) ... for my TA 30 seconds to write the calibration portion of the PCM, under 2 minutes to read the entire PCM... for my GTP it's double that (04+ or maybe even 03+ have 1MB flash files whereas pervious years had 512KB flash files)

I've used HPT on my GTP since around mid last year some time... i think June or so.

I've been beta testing the new 2.0 release for some time now and lots of scanner improvements there also ...

Regarding the new version... here's how everything works:

if you want a USB cable you have to wait for 2.0 to be officially released. But if you don't mind using the serial port version you can get it now, and you will get 2.0 and any other updates for free (they used to have a 99 dollar yearly software maintenance fee, but that no longer applies)

The USB version has 2 advantages
1. no need for a USB to serial adapter (however, I've used an adapter since day 1 with no problems)
2. You must have the USB version if you plan on tuning any newer cars (LS2 based vehicles, and prolly all GM vehicles starting in the next year or so)

unless you're planning on using it on a newer vehicle than those listed on their website, the serial version is fine... you can get a keyspan USB to Serial adapter for 35 bux or so. Once 2.0 is released to the public you'll be able to download that for free (as well as new releases)

As I mentioned, the licensing is for year/make so once you have a license, you can tune as many vehicles that match that year/make as you want. Additional licenses can be added via a software download.

If you have any specific questions or wanna see the 2.0 tuner/scanner lemme know :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• B
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list