• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical How to Wrap Your Steering Wheel

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Breaking this off from my GTI thread.

Tools needed:

Torque Wrench
3/4 or 1/2 ratchet
Mini Pick and Hook set
Pry Tool
Lighter (to seal the end of the thread)

I purchased a suede cover from AliExpress.

Black Suede Hand-stitched Car Steering Wheel Cover

I opted to remove the steering to make it a little easier to work on, though I will say dealing with a loose wheel was a little awkward, but still better than doing it in the car. I have a Joby mount for my phone that I've had for years, I used it to help prop the wheel up while I was working on it.

The AliExpress cover I bought linked to this How To Video, which is good for the basics but doesn't go into detail.

For my car (DSG with Push Button Start) I had to turn it on, put it in Neutral and pull up the manual e-brake, then go and unplug the battery. If your car has a key, you can skip this step and just unplug the battery. I let the car sit for 10-15 minutes to make sure everything was discharged. I removed the airbag from the steering wheel and set it aside gently. It's important to not have the steering wheel lock before attempting this.

Next was the clock spring bolt. I opted to buy a brand new one from VW, it was a few bucks and worth it for piece of mind. I heard somewhere that the clock springs can be re-used 4 or 5 times before being replaced, for the few bucks (I want to say it was a $2 part), not worth the hassle.

Here's the Airbag removed and the clock spring is accessible.

Once the clock spring is off, off with the wheel

Check the fitment and orientation of the cover one last time

Apply tape to the inside of the wheel in strips at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock leaving around 5mm between the edge of the cover and the tape.

Now that I'm ready to begin stitching, I started in the 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock section and I think I would have started in the top half where my hands sit the most.

I would start the stitching and do 20-30 stiches and then go back and tighten the ones I had already done. I used the mini pick and hooks to tug at the threads. I even went back and re-tightened them all at the end.

At this point, it's just repetitive. Stitch, tighten and move on.

I was able to use a plastic pry tool and I was able to lift up the central trim to tuck the wrap in. I had some slight issues with the tuck in the top half of the wheel. I'm not sure if starting there would have make them better or not. I defiantly would start on the end where your hands go (3 and 9 o'clock) instead of starting at 6 o'clock, depending on where you like to place your hands.

Ending each section was a bit tricky, tie a knot and then clip the extra thread. Use the lighter to clean up the thread ends.

My process overall took about 5-6 hours start to finish. I set up an iPad and watched some Podcasts on YouTube. Or put on an audio book or some music and just go to town.

Don't take this an an all inclusive How To, your vehicle or cover may vary.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do this install.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Look forward to finger fucking this thing Saturday.
Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info