🔧 BUILD how to ruin your daily - a descent into madness, 2013 kia soul build

denmah

Oct 26, 2020
for absolutely no reason one night, well maybe because i joked about it many times.
i had a spare microsquirt, and i was like, i should wire to kia for fun to hone some skills, and satiate my sometimes painful curious drive.

so, i got a power source and tapped into map, and whatnot, figured it would be fun to investigate the crank trigger system, i see its two wires, so i removed the sensor and pigtail, it was really well potted thick wire, i had to slowly razor into it for a while to get the two wires, i split the signal and nicely crimped heat shrunk it, and viola i got rpm signal, it wasn't doing anything just reading rpm,

excited how well it was going i figured at this point it would only take me 10 minutes to wire a set of LS coil packs to it, and take over batch ignition, so i did...

i totally guessed at crank angle till it fired and ran decent, and laughed, like a mad scientist.

so i put the stock coils back in, i left everything modular and thought, i should daily this still, and slowly take over systems and make it modular so i can go back and forth, and lets see how far this goes.

borrowed a timing light from whack shack and verified timing wich was only like 4-5 deg off crank angle, so my by ear tuning went pretty well.

Photo Jun 09, 10 11 06 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 09, 10 11 11 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 09, 10 11 28 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 09, 10 44 11 PM.jpg

denmah

Oct 26, 2020
i started gaining alot of interest in it, i asked EFI source mike for some things and i explained what i was doing and he said he would send me a gold box
i had planned to continue into micro and then turbo and then swap to gold box, but after a while i realized i should just ground up clean up this mess i made, and go gold box now, since they have a drive by wire option now and re doing it all later might suck, i also realized the stock dbw will probably get upset, and it was doing this strange throttle stuff at times for emissions, i had to remove that before it gave me a problem.

here is my rambletron for it

denmah

Oct 26, 2020
so here we are, i am waiting for some fuel system stuff, and i will start by port injecting gasoline and tuning with the DI and port together, 02 sensor fed into the megasquirt, not the stock ecu so hoping it runs a consistent base without it, that i can add to without issue.

if not i will eliminate the port injection and yes plug them somehow so they don't fireball out of the head like papi racing

i will also be adding a flex sensor soon and going flex

i plan to start withall motor tuning and see how it goes and drives and get it reliable to drive daily with all the systems taken over, i would love to input the cam wiring also, since i can do twin cam inputs and control them with the gold box and then do sequential fueling.

leaving that up to the stock ecu for now and see how it goes,

then adding the turbo, starting with as low of boost as possible and very soft ignition ill be trying to add like 20-50 whp and see how it does, i am not interested in breaking it, so 175-200whp will be plenty for me if the clutch can hold it, i better start researching who makes similar disks that will fit now.

i think itll be really neat to see how far it goes and how it does, its a nice departure from stuff that is easily done, and a great brain exercise that can be trickled into other things i do

Rooter

Oct 26, 2020
You said you have control over fuel now, are you able to control the DI injectors or just the port injectors with the gold box? Are you using a maf reading or using speed density on the gold box, or anything of those sorts? All this standalone stuff is super foreign to me haha especially with what you’re doing with a DI/DBW engine

denmah

Oct 26, 2020
update, the car has been running on this for the last 10 days, i threw a tiny tune in it first day i took it out as you see above with the laptop, havent touched it since then.
i want to put it on the dyno and tune on 87 and then e85.

see how it compares to the stock tuneup hits,
then ill move on to the turbo stuff, also my friend who is doing the manifold has been busy and im not going to push him to get it done when i have this mustang to finish and my wifes VR6 mk2 swap in progress.

so ill keep driving and testing it and upgrading it when i can.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info