How to measure bridge clearance on boats.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
How the fuck did this guy get in the harbor? :rofl:

56d4824fd83d2d5c10ff7e0675eafe98.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Lake levels expected to go up another 10" by the end of summer

Beaches shrinking as Lake Michigan rises to near-record level - Chicago Tribune

It is scary to think about this. If the lake continues to rise is Diversey going to be inaccessible to any boat with a radar arch next season? The harbor master told me 27 boats are "stuck" in the harbor. He also told me wind direction plays a big role in the water level in the harbor. You might get in but you won't be able to get out. :rofl:

I posted a message on the Chicago Harbors FB site to see if they have a response but it probably would be a MAJOR project to do anything with Lake Shore Drive to make more bridge clearance.

Sounds like other harbors are going to fill up with bigger boats if they didn't already. Forcing everyone else to the failure 31st harbor.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

It is scary to think about this. If the lake continues to rise is Diversey going to be inaccessible to any boat with a radar arch next season? The harbor master told me 27 boats are "stuck" in the harbor. He also told me wind direction plays a big role in the water level in the harbor. You might get in but you won't be able to get out. :rofl:

I posted a message on the Chicago Harbors FB site to see if they have a response but it probably would be a MAJOR project to do anything with Lake Shore Drive to make more bridge clearance.

Sounds like other harbors are going to fill up with bigger boats if they didn't already. Forcing everyone else to the failure 31st harbor.

https://www.weather.gov/mkx/highlakemichiganwaterlevel

The water level of Lake Michigan continues to rise after generally staying below long term average values for over a decade. Below is a graph depicting the average Lake Michigan/Lake Huron water level since the late 90s.

The latest observed value of 176.73 meters, or 579.82 ft, is the highest recorded level since July of 1998! The peak of this summer so far is 2.13 ft higher than the average peak of the low level summers of 2012 and 2013.

How much water does 2.13 feet of lake add up to? For lake Michigan alone...that's 9.95 trillion gallons of water more than 2012/2013. For the combined Lake Michigan / Lake Huron Basin...it adds up to 20.17 trillion gallons!

To learn more about current and historical Great Lakes water levels, visit: https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/now/wlevels/levels.html.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I wonder how this bridge looks today. I work in supply chain and our demand for barge shipments increased three fold starting last month....at the same time all the flooding on the mississippi and illinois river started becoming a problem. Sooo i'm just now learning about how much water levels can impact commerce.

I received a video a few weeks ago of DOZENS of vessels lined up at New Orleans, just sitting there unable to unload because barges can't navigate the Mississippi. Not to mention many of the locks are underwater at the moment

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Guy on Chicago Boaters FB group is posting bridge clearance updates. Seems the level fluctuates between 11 and 10ft depending on wind currently. I left the harbor after 2017 season but that would probably mean my boat would be to close for comfort if I still had it. Level was supposedly overflowing into the parking lot of the harbor in 1986.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info