How to build a 9 second Hellcat

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
I figured I'd post my setup and what is involved If you want an idea of what the cost is to mod one.....

Used hellcats can be purchased for 45k-55k. Challengers are cheaper. Prices still dropping. I think the next surge will be after the Redeye arrives.

I picked mine up for $60,000 in Feb of 2017 with 1,900 miles on it. Private party out of North Carolina. Saved a lot on taxes. Sold my 2012 Grand Cherokee and put some cash down and financed a bit for a very reasonable payment.

A little timeline:

Car had a lower pulley on it, CAI, Diablotuner with a 93 tune from the tuner I bought it from (Hemituner). This was his car. I went back to stock to get the supercharger replaced. It was one of a handful of cars with bad supercharger bearings. Got this fixed in May of 2017.

June 2017 I placed a parts list together:

- ID1050x $900
- 2.85" Ring/hub $350
- Metco idlers $250
- Tune, install, dyno around $1200-1300
- TCM tune $250

Made 784rwhp on this setup

Drove this from 3000 miles to 9000 miles. Got used to the power, started research and slowing gathering parts to go E85.

Winter of 2017-18

- Catless mids $150 used
- ID1300'S $900 used (these are really expensive new)
- Metco 2.5" ring $50 used
- Plug re-gap, I changed to fresh NGK 2309 since they were all coming out anyways $350 installed
- Twin 450lph fuel pumps and harness $1250

I installed the pumps myself, and brought the car back for tuning April of 2018 once the pump ethanol went up a bit.

-$300 for an Ethanol tune
-$300 for a new 93 tune due to the injectors
-$300-500 for labor / dyno time
Made 898rwhp on ethanol.

I set the car up to be variable if needed, since flex tuning isn't dialed in with these cars yet.

- I have an e85 tune for 80% and above Ethanol tested at the pump.
- I have an e70 tune for below 80% (less timing).
- I have a 93 tune if I want to go WOT. I need to put the 2.85 ring on. I was able to figure out a way to keep the stock belt and not have to change it with ring swaps by using a top idler for when I have the 2.5 on.

If I knew more about e85 before getting the car, I would of jumped straight to it.

Barth's 900rwhp package is around $7000 installed if you bring him a stock car. He uses a BAP on the stock pump.

https://www.barthtuning.com/store/p4/900_rwhp_E85_Package.html

I went with dual aftermarket to grow if needed.

I've been on e85 almost 5000 miles. I can't see myself going back to 93 for WOT.

If you do your shopping you can grab a lot of parts used due to guys changing setups a lot.

I do have more money into this thing with wrap, tints, spare rims, used blizzaks, drag rims, new badging, and various things. My most recent addition is a killer chiller. I got one used for a great deal and is a fabulous addition. Dodge uses us as their R&D. They now offer the line lock and the chilling system on the 2019 models.

Still making tweaks daily. I'm working with my tuner to see if we can adjust my timing in areas, but that is his call after reviewing my logs. I would like to squeak another two tenths out of this setup before I go a bit further.

Future plans once I stop driving this 365 days a year are adding a progressive Nitrous setup to it. Tim has a customer who just set the record for the charger. It went 9.3 full weight with my similar setup and a 150 shot. That car can go 9.1-9.2 in great weather.

Was that long enough :)

IMG_0116.JPG
Image 10-5-18 at 8.34 PM.jpg
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
9.8@141 around 4900lb raceweight. I'm 240 :(

I review a ton of logs on the car. The car is yanking timing in areas where it shouldn't. I'm sure it is something that just needs to be looked over when he gets the time. He has my logs, just waiting on the verdict. Might not get a chance to run it until next year if the weather turns. I would like a 9.6-7 with me in it.

If I'm ever at GLD and Tim wants to take a crack at it, I'm more than happy to let him give it a go. He has the skinny driver mod :)

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Awesome thread, looking forward to watching your progress.
I did the same regarding parts, bought all my shit gently used for a fraction of the cost.
I was at the shop last week and Jeremy was doing a pulley and a killer chiller on a Trackhawk. Install looked to be very straight forward and thats a very nice system.

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
Awesome thread, looking forward to watching your progress.
I did the same regarding parts, bought all my shit gently used for a fraction of the cost.
I was at the shop last week and Jeremy was doing a pulley and a killer chiller on a Trackhawk. Install looked to be very straight forward and thats a very nice system.

The system works well. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use it during the winter. Kincaid said to use the A/C on, and the defrost on as well. Sometimes the car will chill, sometimes it won't. This has been since the cold 30-40 degree weather. It was finicky driving into work when it was 30 the other morning. I'm not sure if the body control module in the car is preventing me from overriding it or what. Works very well overall. Putting the cabin fan on high, temp to LO, and recirc on. The thing chills down to the 30's in about 10 mins.

Thread Info