• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How To Bring Your Stock C5 Radio Into The Modern Age

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Here is a simple way to keep the OEM looks of the C5 interior and upgrade your tech. Cliffs...Easy install, adds bluetooth phone pairing to the radio to play music, adds a solid usb charging point, and adds hands free calling.

Discountcarstereo.com makes the bluetooth set up for modern phones and other devices.

Install time is an hour taking your time, and is essentially plug and play. There are a couple of options one can select for the kit, but the idea is the same. I opted to keep the disc changer useable, added an AUX input in case I wanted that down the road, and added a smaller mic button.

I routed the usb charger into the middle console and modified the factory power outlet to accept the usb port. Also placed the mic out of site, but hopefully it won't be too far out of the way for audio quality.

There is a wireless bluetooth remote that has a lot of functions which included. It pairs to the phone and controls things from there. It is small and looks good, but I am not sure if I want to stick it near the shifter or not. I will re evaluate that down the road.

Phone pairing is very easy, audio quality is great, and the USB charging point puts out more juice that stock. Onto the pictures.

20200801_140420.jpg

20200801_140317.jpg

20200801_140324.jpg

20200801_140254.jpg

20200801_140258.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Interesting kit, it’s nice it’s easily hidden.

Why not just change out the head unit though?
I might still do that down the road when I do a stereo upgrade. Main reason for me right now are the dash kits that are offered for these. One is expensive, but has a shinier finish than the stock panels. The other one I have seen looks more stock, but gets rid of the flip lid on the cup holder.

Down the road I will have to decide on something as I will be doing a fair bit of upgrading on the stock stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info