How often are you shooting and how many rounds are you shooting?

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Spin off from the thread where we are discussing the shooting in the Texas church, seeing how nicely @1quick tightened up his groups, mentioning he was shooting 500 rounds a week.....

im usually around 300 per month, and definitely need to spend more time shooting (which I will with the membership I got to the local range), but was curious how often the rest of you are getting out and how many rounds you shoot on average per range trip.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
For the record that was 4 years ago when I was shooting that much, I haven’t had a lot of time lately but I plan to shoot a lot more this year I should have more time till the fall with the new job and no overtime

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
When I do go. Which has not been much in the last 3-4 years. I usually go through 500ish rounds.

lastls1

Reaction score
Been on a purchasing spree on guns. But normally 150-200 rounds a session depending on caliber.

Once I get my .22 more like 500 rounds since it’s cheaper

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've seriously debated getting into high powered air soft or bb guns. Yea I can shoot all day everyday at my house, but I really don't want to...

Neighbor had to have his 308 this weekend... BANG....... BANG....... BANG... for an hour...

OP
BADAZZTEALCOBRA

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
For the record that was 4 years ago when I was shooting that much, I haven’t had a lot of time lately but I plan to shoot a lot more this year I should have more time till the fall with the new job and no overtime
Was there a point when you really noticed your grouping tighten up, or was it just gradual over that entire time shooting?

Im likely going to be hitting a defensive pistol class this week which will then allow me to draw and shoot at the range which will be helpful in a defensive situation, just need to put in more time shooting. Now that I got a membership for the range for Christmas I’m thinking it’ll be at least once a week, and probably try to do 200-300 rounds each week.

We’ll see where I end up after a few months.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Not enough, shit is expensive. I feel whenever I go between range fee, eyes, ears and ammo I drop close to $75.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Was there a point when you really noticed your grouping tighten up, or was it just gradual over that entire time shooting?

Im likely going to be hitting a defensive pistol class this week which will then allow me to draw and shoot at the range which will be helpful in a defensive situation, just need to put in more time shooting. Now that I got a membership for the range for Christmas I’m thinking it’ll be at least once a week, and probably try to do 200-300 rounds each week.

We’ll see where I end up after a few months.
When I started to learn what makes the bullet hit different places on the target if your breathing when when rapid firing you can see your group go up and down with your chest raising, shooting to the left your not using enough pressure with your left thumb, shooting to the right your not using the right place on your index finger to pull the trigger sometimes shooting down means your anticipating the recoil and dipping the barrel, it also depends on the person but you start to learn what works for you as you shoot more, my competition gun has extreme grips they are like 80grit sand paper they really lock in, I always put an extra piece just under the slide on the left side for my thumb to grip into

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I've seriously debated getting into high powered air soft or bb guns. Yea I can shoot all day everyday at my house, but I really don't want to...

Neighbor had to have his 308 this weekend... BANG....... BANG....... BANG... for an hour...
Anything past a Benjamin starts to get really really expensive, I have a .25 pre charged that does around 900fps it’s pretty fun to shoot between the gun scope and pump I think I’m like 750 into it

lastls1

Reaction score
Not enough, shit is expensive. I feel whenever I go between range fee, eyes, ears and ammo I drop close to $75.
You purchase ears and eye wear each time? If you go even twice a year you should get yourself a comfy ear plug or over the ear wear. Safety glasses are cheap obv. You can get packs at Home Depot

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
You purchase ears and eye wear each time? If you go even twice a year you should get yourself a comfy ear plug or over the ear wear. Safety glasses are cheap obv. You can get packs at Home Depot
Rent them, but yes last time I went I brought cheapy safety glasses with me and bought disposable ear plugs.

SpeedSpeak2me

Reaction score
About once a month when it is nice out (in KY). Number of rounds can vary between 100 and over 1000, depending on what we've brought out to shoot. One weekend I brought down four ammo cans. The first two were a mix of factory and hand loads from as small as 9mm up to .45-70. One was all test loads for my gnat assassin, and one cram-packed full of Federal 710 (.22 LR). That was about a 3500+ round weekend. The g/f at the time got a real kick out of shooting, so just let her go to town on the 22's since they were so cheap.

Edit, back in the late 90's I know we did a 10,000+ round weekend, primarily consisting of .22's (when a bucket of bullets was $5) and lots of small/large marshmallows in a quarry's pond.

OP
BADAZZTEALCOBRA

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Rent them, but yes last time I went I brought cheapy safety glasses with me and bought disposable ear plugs.
Let me dig through my gear, I’m sure I have some extra muffs you can have... I went electronic and can’t use regular ones now. :rofl:

Might have spare glasses as well...

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
I need to stock up on ammo, but I'd like to go once a month or every other month, now that I have all the gear needed.

So far I've only put 50 rounds through it.

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
Not a lot at all. 50-100 rounds a month through my bolt rifles mostly. I rarely shoot pistols.

I actually want to start doing 2 or 3 gun just so I can spend more time shooting pistols and ARs.

lastls1

Reaction score
Going shooting now as we speak. Something about sending rounds down range through a rifle that’s calming

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Probably average about 100-150 rounds a month. I end up shooting rifle (AR PCC typically) and my handguns.

Last outing was this weekend, probably popped off about 200 rounds. Actually didn't shoot too bad esp since I was mostly there to function test. Bit of .357 mag but mostly the SD9VE and the XD. Good stuff.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
I used to go every 2 weeks and hope to get back to that schedule in the next few months. I would say 500 rds between 9mm and .22 using 2-3 guns each time at the range. As to the question of how long did it take to get grouping better that is a bit of a loaded question (pun not intended). I think once someone is comfortable with a handgun or firearm that it's just practice and muscle memory. Once those become second nature it's more about focus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom