How much to build a LS 6.0 to 600HP?

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
Not up on LS stuff...a recent thread on the PPV got me curious. Started looking at the Ecoboost police interceptor...and would cost a shit ton just to get it where my 535 is currently.

If I want to get in the 6-700HP range it's going to cost me $3-4K for turbos and fuel upgrades on my current car.

How far would that take a 6.0 LS?

GTPpower

Reaction score
It depends on the quality of parts you want. You could get 600hp for a couple thousand dollars, but that is using China turbo parts, decappped injectors, etc...

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good cam and a good tune will get you in the 500’s I believe. More than that, just add whatever boost you prefer. There is a great build on here with a supercharger on a Chevy SS, was fairly budget friendly till he went nuts lol.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
thats an easy goal to achieve.

6.0L in what type of vehicle? if youre talking about power @ the flexplate, that can almost be had with the right top end combo.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
The ss starts with a better motor the ls3 but you can piece together a lsa blower set up pretty cheap, headers good cam and lsa blower should make in the 600whp range on e85, I keep looking at the caprices myself for a super cheap 4 door but I don’t think I’d be happy unless it made 1000+ whp at that point it would be a 1/2 mile car since I wouldn’t want to put the money into it to make it hook for the 1/4

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I think the ls3 top end swap and a good cam is still a cheap way to make solid power in the 6.0’s n/a

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
LY6 is a great starting point for a built BTW. 6.0 with LS3 heads. and usually junkyards have them for about $1-1500

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
The ss starts with a better motor the ls3 but you can piece together a lsa blower set up pretty cheap, headers good cam and lsa blower should make in the 600whp range on e85, I keep looking at the caprices myself for a super cheap 4 door but I don’t think I’d be happy unless it made 1000+ whp at that point it would be a 1/2 mile car since I wouldn’t want to put the money into it to make it hook for the 1/4

Do it and join the PPV club

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Do it and join the PPV club
I’ve had my eye on them for years I just always forget they are a thing when I’m looking at 4 doors, I also like the simplicity of my mustang build the more balls out the build the more problems it has it seems like

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
How’s blue balls coming along?
havent parked her for the season yet. no salt on the roads out here as of yet.

engine is done(not painted yet), harness is not.
trans is 90% together(have to do VB & shift kit still)
no converter purchased yet

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
havent parked her for the season yet. no salt on the roads out here as of yet.

engine is done(not painted yet), harness is not.
trans is 90% together(have to do VB & shift kit still)
no converter purchased yet
That’s going to be an awesome set up

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
I’m pondering flipping my 535 wagon...but it’s right about 500 hp now. Inlets and downpipes and retuning is all I have left before turbos, so I’ll be capped at about 550 to 575hp...and I’m already at about the limit of what the transaxle can handle. I had to retune it a little when the colder air came in because I don’t want to blow the front diff.

So, basically I’m looking at spending a lot to deal with drivetrain issues eventually to only run 50-60 more hp.

Im thinking it might be more fun to just have a RWD v8 car I can put sideways at will. My wagon hooks really well, and it’s kinda boring other than how well it accelerates. So I’m looking to have something rowdier.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Check out Sloppy Mechanics on Facebook if you have it. They have a wiki page dedicated to building LS stuff on the cheap.

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
I would start with a 5.3 personally, as they go for half the price of a 6.0. Then just do a cam/springs, head bolts/studs, and something along the lines of a Borg Warner s475. Easy 550-600rwhp on pump gas.

I'd second looking at the sloppy wiki/youtube. He's done similar combos tons of times.

HILROD

Reaction score
A set of heads and lsa blower swap away Fasterproms just did this on a later 6.2 Escalade I think. Or a cam turbo deal on a 6.0. I think the blower would be a better swap on something heavy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom