How much should I expect to lose selling to a gun shop?

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
I have a couple guns I want to sell and as far as I see it the path of least resistance to sell to a gun shop. I was going to take them to Marengo and see what they say. Maybe I can trade them in on some thing they have used. My question is how much under market value should I expect to be offered?

My first gun is a .38 S&W Bodyguard with a crimson trace laser and hogue grips. It's a useless gun to me and the novelty wore off. New I think they are over $400 so can I expect $300? I would like to just trade it for a .22 M&P compact they had on the wall.

The 2nd is a Taurus model 66 .357. I honestly have no idea what they are worth. I moving this gun to make way for an R8.

I just don't want to be offered pennies on the dollar, does anyone have any experience?

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Reaction score
Armslist and FOID transfer. It is so easy and you will definitely get more for them.

OP
Lead Pipe

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I might give that a shot but the thought of selling a gun privately gives me the creeps.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I've traded a couple I didn't feel like messing with, 50% of what the shop sells them for new it spot on

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
50% is about right.

Problem with Armslist is, tons of scammers and people wanting to pay with wire transfers or money orders from out of state.

I tried selling my brand new mossberg 930 SPX which retails for 700+ not including tax and FFL fees, which includes 150+ rounds of ammo, a case, couple of mods, etc for a while now, with only 1-2 bites of lowballers.

I'd say, sell privately. Shields are a dime a dozen and S&W can validate that with the amount of rebates submitted.

Cabela's in Hoffman estates had a special on shields for about $300 new and used were around $250 not too long ago. I'd say, keep it or WAIT until the sales end to find a good buyer.

IZZy