đź“Š Poll How many of you have been out of the country?

Have you been out of the country?

• Yes

Votes: 66 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I feel like Hawaii should count because it's a lot more difficult to get to than something like Mexico, and it kinda does feel a little foreign there.
+ Hawaii x2 then to my list.

Went as a kid to Oahu and then again in my late teens to Maui.

Perks of having parents who worked for the airlines as a kid. I should have traveled to more countries than I did.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
agreed, Hawaii should count given the 8 hour flight, seems like its another country lol. I've been to Oahu a few times, going back soon to Maui.

I've been to the UK, Germany, Poland, Japan, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Cayman islands, Aruba, and almost all the leeward and winward Caribbean islands on various cruises over the years. Had our honeymoon in St. Lucia too.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I voted no but have been on the other side of the border for Niagara falls.
Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Not yet, my son has been there a half dozen times or so
Its on my list along with Cuba
food kinda rough there...

been through 2 passports now with like a page left in each, although plenty of spots were repeat visits. i've seen enough places to have some favorites for life, colombia has some plusses but i enjoyed my daily routine more in mexico. really i've just been biding my time from both and looking forward to getting back to southeast asia. planning on a month in the philippines and the rest of the year/til december in thailand.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

been through 2 passports now with like a page left in each, although plenty of spots were repeat visits. i've seen enough places to have some favorites for life, colombia has some plusses but i enjoyed my daily routine more in mexico. really i've just been biding my time from both and looking forward to getting back to southeast asia. planning on a month in the philippines and the rest of the year/til december in thailand.
My son and his GF loved the food, but they weren't eating burgers lol. My buddies that have took guy trips there loved the food as well.
Do you like Columbian food in general or did you ever have it prior to going there?

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020

Question for you: How does the logistics of your travels work?

Do you just find a hotel with high speed internet and try to get a monthly rate?

Or do you have "friends" all over the world and can crash with them?

AirBNB internationally?

You could spin off your own thread with the travel and logistics of it all.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
My son and his GF loved the food, but they weren't eating burgers lol. My buddies that have took guy trips there loved the food as well.
Do you like Columbian food in general or did you ever have it prior to going there?
so i actually never have colombian breakfast or dinners, 0 times. although i frequently have menu del dia/menu of the day lunches; i just left from one. they are super cheap (like $2.50) and pretty good. these are like working man restaurants where they just provide one thing that is supposed to be cheap and good and filling and give you energy for the day. you either have no choice of anything, or you might have a choice of a soup vs. beans, and you might have the choice of a protein for the main meal. been pretty happy as a frequent visitor to the one by my work spot.

my food comment was actually about cuba though, some limited options and could end up with some interesting things there ;p like weirdest pizza i've ever had. most anything seeming like a real restaurant is owned by the state. you can buy various price controlled foods from some windows. maybe get some meals from a person's private kitchen restaurant - although plenty of places you might find on google are not actually open. my buddy and i transported butter into the country because our airbnb host asked for it. like we took containers of butter, put them in the freezer, wrapped them in towels the next day and headed to the airport. dude was super grateful lol. i think they've undergone some reforms so at least hopefully it's a bit better now for all.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Colombian Arepas breakfast are the bomb, though there's a regional divide.

My mom's side is from Medellin, they make flat arepas and put cheese on top of them after they have been cooked. I like to put butter, salt, cream cheese and when I'm really hungry, eggs.

My dad's side is from Bogota, they make cheese filled arepas and cook them that way.

I'm partial to the Medellin style, though I have had those in Bogota. We even went somewhere in Bogota that served dinner on Medellin style arepas as the base, kind of like using it as bread.

Bogota style are thick and not large around. Medellin style are large and thin.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/262048/colombian-arepas/ <--- Bogota style

https://www.seriouseats.com/colombian-style-arepas-griddled-or-grilled-corn-cakes-recipe <--- Medellin style

I make them for the kids with PAN Cornmeal. Equal parts PAN cornmeal and water, usually 1/4 of the cornmeal. Mix until doughy. Flatten cook on a griddle until done, about 10 mins per side. Butter, salt, cheese and you're golden.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
so i actually never have colombian breakfast or dinners, 0 times. although i frequently have menu del dia/menu of the day lunches; i just left from one. they are super cheap (like $2.50) and pretty good. these are like working man restaurants where they just provide one thing that is supposed to be cheap and good and filling and give you energy for the day. you either have no choice of anything, or you might have a choice of a soup vs. beans, and you might have the choice of a protein for the main meal. been pretty happy as a frequent visitor to the one by my work spot.

my food comment was actually about cuba though, some limited options and could end up with some interesting things there ;p like weirdest pizza i've ever had. most anything seeming like a real restaurant is owned by the state. you can buy various price controlled foods from some windows. maybe get some meals from a person's private kitchen restaurant - although plenty of places you might find on google are not actually open. my buddy and i transported butter into the country because our airbnb host asked for it. like we took containers of butter, put them in the freezer, wrapped them in towels the next day and headed to the airport. dude was super grateful lol. i think they've undergone some reforms so at least hopefully it's a bit better now for all.
Gotcha.
I'm a huge fan of authentic Cuban food so I'm sure I'd find something, shit I love all Latin food lol.
I'd never leave this country and get a pizza though, I wouldnt even eat a hot dog in another country as I know both would be a huge disappointment.

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Gotcha.
I'm a huge fan of authentic Cuban food so I'm sure I'd find something, shit I love all Latin food lol.
I'd never leave this country and get a pizza though, I wouldnt even eat a hot dog in another country as I know both would be a huge disappointment.
i will mix in trying international stuff with stuff i like. half the time the international stuff is unhealthy as fuck as well (although won't typically stop me from trying something at least once.). i was going to say there's not a country i haven't had a hamburger in - although i actually haven't in vietnam or cuba or some others off the top of my head. fyi various versions of "sausage" you might think you are getting will really be: hot dog. the problem with cuba is, among not having much money anyway, not having access to things on top of that. thus our butter smuggling lol. internet was waiting in a line in a park with a bunch of other cubans, to buy a voucher for like 20 minutes of access to wifi only available in the park.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Gotcha.
+1 on the cuban food. Last trip to Miami turned me on to it and I been hooked ever since!

Thread Info