đź“Š Poll How many of you browse the site by sections vs new posts?

Do you browse TCG via...

• Sections and subforums

Votes: 20 22.5%

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Both

Votes: 16 18.0%

• Total voters

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The reason for this thread was (is?) because I found an add-on that allows sub-forum threads to show up in their parent forum. Meaning - TV/Movie threads would show up in off topic (while also remaining in their correct spot). This would allow you folks that browse by section to have to click less. Furthermore, it would also make it so that when you create a thread in Off Topic (for example), it would ask what section you want to post in (off topic, tv, aliens, etc). I still might install it but I also need to include another add-on and I'm not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Bump for personal interest.
giphy.gif

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So bumping this because I might be making a change to how the site greets people.

Thoughts on making the homepage the what's new page, rather than the forum listing? The reason being is think about how evvvvvvveryone is served content on social media....its via some type of "feed". When someone first hits the site, do we want them staring a static list of sections or would we rather them see real-time discussions? Doing this may encourage far more guest interaction and registration.

I would of course be able to still easily steer people back to the forum listing should they want. And ultimately, I might be the only one that thinks this might be a good idea. On my phone, for example, I ALWAYS open the new posts page by default. I rarely use the forum listing unless I specifically need to jump to a section. And, those that browse only by forum listing can just update their bookmarks...easy peasy.

Feedback?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Depending on how it's executed, it might change my old fashion ways. I still prefer to browse by topic though.
you would still able to, no problem. the forum listing will still be its own entity and you can update your bookmark once i make any change (if i do). i have some ideas to spruce things up.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well shit....the site did all the hard work for me without having to do jack shit.

There is a big blue forum list button on the page for both desktop and mobile:

1622750566974.png

And you can also quick hit it here:

1622750581536.png

And here is the list link:

Thread Info