Site Sponsor How many hours ?! Barney is finally DIALED IN v. Not so fast

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Some of you may have been following the "off season" activities. Bumpers painted, seat repairs, cleaning, cleaning and cleaning.
It has all led up to now. This will be info and picture heavy. As Hawk Harrelson would say, sit back relax and strap it down.

Lots of touch ups, 1 on the hood and 1 on the driver fender especially. Multiple coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat. Friday evening I washed the car with Obsessed garage DECON soap and spot clayed with Pinnacle poly clay. Once in the garage and dried, I spot sanded the touch ups. I used a 3" sanding disk to make 3, 1" disks to use on the Rupes Nano iBrid.

1703449957256.png

Here is the spot on the hood:
7w84Dlx.jpg

Sanded:
Tmb26BK.jpg

Driver fender after 1500 and 2000:
pM4F7EQ.jpg

After 3000:
ei3j8Zh.jpg

I did what I could with the scangrip light and a separate LED spot light to capture the defects. The car had typical "love" marks from being washed etc. The last time a machine touched the car was SEPT 2016.
The lower sections were clayed, the marring is very noticeable.
Before:

Mark under and above the light bulb:
drI4zph.jpg

Bottom of LF fender, clay marring:
7minowF.jpg

GvaljO5.jpg

wLg47N8.jpg

Below the light on the 1/4 panel
pnTHPRW.jpg

CCuaQsR.jpg

I clayed the hood as well since it is a horizontal panel
Cxk8kOv.jpg

Imperfections can be seen @ both light reflections:
Md1wEUs.jpg

Circular marks can be seen on the driver door around the bulb. Both speed shops must have wiped the car down. I don't want to think about it.
naCJVC9.jpg

W4yFTsp.jpg

ywxFLha.jpg

kjAEi3Z.jpg

Here you can see on the inside of the "curve" where the 1" nano machine left rotary holograms after wet sanding:
c0SsQTN.jpg

TnyvLhd.jpg

w3EN7rG.jpg

Here you can see swirls and a long scratch on the spoiler:
Ow75Xw9.jpg

Bottom RF fender:
HBzy3bK.jpg

Cowl is faded:
WLsETls.jpg

VfWA8Qo.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved 2 -

A couple test spots on the hood, I decided on a 2 step correction.
Machines:
Rupes LHR 15 Mark II ( 5" )
PC 7424XP ( 3" )
Rupes Nano iBrid ( 1 and 2" )

For some of the deeper marks, I used 2 dots of Sonax Cutmax and 2 dots of Menzerna 2400 on a Rupes yellow wool pad.
Finishing step was Sonax perfect finish via a black finishing pad on the 5" and yellow rupes polishing yellow pads on the 3" and 1"

Car was wiped down with CarPro Eraser.
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light was applied LATE on Saturday night.
Sunday morning, Exo V4 applied

I also worked on the wheel lips and the cowl on Sunday.
I did not take "during" pictures because it was a long day.

Here are some crappy in the garage afters for now. I will update the thread when I can get the car out in the sun.

For those who follow me on IG, I posted this after I was finished applying the CSL on Saturday night:
x0NwkTx.jpg

Here is a picture of the Exo V4 applied:
GIz9pO3.jpg

u1qI0af.jpg

bAWpxa9.jpg

Na59XMM.jpg

lrJe3tu.jpg

OmLpkfN.jpg

GzkZKCG.jpg

N4stH0t.jpg

llHouz6.jpg

bdq9cnL.jpg

WrprBQE.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved 3 -

RFAo0Nf.jpg

qNR1Q8j.jpg

tD9VD1S.jpg

gMycLgD.jpg

Dust:
8DnBG4d.jpg

wZHqRNb.jpg

WYHRKnF.jpg

l1ASB8N.jpg

gqJzy7q.jpg

bpGhnH7.jpg

CQuartz UK 3.0 was applied to the cowl via a 1" foam paint brush, and allowed to dry, I did not wipe or level it at all:
bpGhnH7.jpg

qOKM30m.jpg

vpqLmz1.jpg

Gloss black wheels FTL. I did not want to go crazy, just wanted to make them look better.
1" polisher, yellow poishing pad and Sonax perfect finish. Be sure to look passed the reflection of the center of the wheel. Swirls are about 50-60% removed
JPK5WUl.jpg

jjrnWla.jpg

The wheel lips were wiped down with carpro eraser and re-coated with GTechniq C5 wheel armour

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved 4 -

So this is where it gets interesting. I'm pretty sure it was Jim White from White details who said if you compound with the Nano iBrid you have to use the nano to polish and refine with the nano.
Well, when I turned the lights off in the garage and used only the LED light, I saw some areas that were not 100% refined on the driver upper door and the driver fender.
Also, a small "high" spot in the CSL on the hood. I was honestly going to leave the hood until the fall and just use carpro essence plus to spot polish it and be done with it.
but
When I saw the spots on the door and fender I was pissed. I could no let it go, so let's compound off 2 layers of freshly applied ceramic coating.

you can see the circular rotary marks from the 1" machine and a wool pad here:
VCdqY6N.jpg

And some holograms here, look right coming off the bulb:
u3c7TSQ.jpg

Some may say it would have been fine but I could not leave it like that.

New process for hood, driver fender and the driver upper door:
Griot's garage fast correcting cream + Lake country MF cutting pad ( across all 3 machines )
Menzerna 2400 + yellow rupes polishing pad ( across all 3 machines )
Sonax perfect finish + black finishing 5" pad, blue LC light polishing 3" pad and yellow rupes polishing pad 1"

I wiped the panels with eraser after each step and 2 more times before reapplying the coating.
CSL went back on Tuesday night and EXo V4 reapplied Wed morning

fixed:
Oru4AXs.jpg

How to polish off a coating next to a panel that is already coated
20e3Sw0.jpg

And finally today after the Exo cured:
o2ml9f0.jpg

qMcIhYC.jpg

OLIqchF.jpg

Camaro red white and blue emblem was installed Saturday before the Exo was applied.

I would say I have 80 hours combined with all of the steps along the way from removing the bumpers to now.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
It looks so damn good!
Thanks !

Wish I lived a little closer to you, I’d offer up to hep with all this. Looks great!
No worries, I enjoy the process. headphones were on and I was catching up on music. I picked the long weekend to get it done.
Thank you !

Wow, just fucking wow!
????????
HAHA! Thanks Shawn. In case inquiring minds want to know.
The car was washed the previous week for a youtube video. So it was clean. I washed it Friday night. So a couple hours spent on Friday night.
It was about 10am on Saturday when I started polishing. I was done with 2 steps and the 1st layer application at 11:30pm.
Sunday was about 10am to about 2 or 230pm
Tuesday was 4pm to 830 pm - this was to compound, polish and refine + CSL on the 3 affected areas
Wednesday 530am to about 610am to reapply to Exo V4.
Brutal

Damn dude, car came out great! A shit load of time into her, but totally worth it.

Also new special lady friend?!?!?

View attachment 94002
Friend from work. I coated her car a few years ago and she won't let anyone else wash it. She is quite pleasant.
and thanks, lots of minor shit but it's what I do.

Super glad I'm not the only one wishing gavs loins moisture

LMAO !! thanks dude

So I was thinking if you ever decided to sell this car I'd be interested but I've officially decided I'm not fucking worthy.

giphy.gif

I will take this as a compliment x2, thanks !!

God damn dude. Amazing as always
thank you thank you. Setting an example for the rest of the driveway detailers here on TCG

Damn, an absolutely stunning result. Excellent work.
Thank you !

Fucking hell she’s shiny!

Did I miss what happened after you sanded the imperfections? Did it require touch up paint and more sanding?

What is all this "she" stuff. Barney is a bro :ROFLMAO:

The sanding that was shown in this thread ? They were just sanded to level the touch up. Then just polished as normal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info