How hard is it to remove a steering wheel?

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
Reason I ask is I've found a few clean ones in a few local yards and mine is developing a crack in the leather where it's gonna start splitting and looking like dick soon, not to mention the leather is worn down where my hands are all the time.

Is it just a basic nut holding it on or what? I have a haynes manual that shows how to disable/discharge power from the SIR system and safely remove the airbag but nothing of steering wheel removal. GM wants $445 for a new one.

C.Evans

Reaction score
Not hard. You just have to disconnect the battery (I'd wait at least an hour) before working on it to keep the airbag blowing up in your face. Also, take it easy with the clock spring.

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
what would you rate it for someone with basic mechanical knowledge on a 1-10 ?

C.Evans

Reaction score
I'd give it a 2. Once you get the nut off that holds the wheel on you might need a puller to get the wheel off. Sometimes you don't. Once you get the wheel you want from the junkyard you'll already have practice at removing one before you do yours, so you'll know what to expect. :bigthumb:

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I'm gonna look through our tool box, it's possible we already have a steering wheel puller.. seems we have one of everything else. Thanks.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Reaction score
Download a manual on how to do it, not something you want to fuck up. No matter how easy it is.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
They rent pullers at auto zone for free.

Also, pressing the brake pedal will drain any residual juice in the car after disconnecting the battery.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
also pull the airbag fuse. do all the above as well. i did it on my monte when the multifunction switch went out. not that hard. just be safe

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
We don't use pullers at work. We take the nut off and then put it back on a few threads and then pull back on the wheel as hard as possible while rocking it side to side (don't turn it, just rock side to side). The wheel will come off and get caught by the nut so it won't rip the airbag wires out of the clock spring. After that you can take the nut off and carefully feed the wires through the wheel and make sure not to twist anything

Charlie_Boy7

Bacon FTW
Reaction score
Download a manual on how to do it, not something you want to fuck up. No matter how easy it is.
^^This

Even tho it turned out to be a simple task I fucked up my 89 Camaro when I put in the "racing" steering wheel.. the turned signals never worked properly again after that

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
i'm replacing it with a stock unit, not a ricer part. :|

Charlie_Boy7

Bacon FTW
Reaction score
oh okay cooly. i screwed up the thing for the signals on my own tho, due to lack of experience/knowledge. i messed with it when i really shouldn't have just by being curious. just givin you a heads up n stuff

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
was yanking your chain, haha.

thanks sean.. gonna try it out on a junkyard car next time i'm there to be sure i can get it down. doesn't sound too difficult .

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Reaction score
just yank it out. thats how i roll. wires come out? weight reduction.

Theautoguy

Reaction score
Save yourself some time and money and get this:

Leopard print steering wheel cover; it's like pimp juice to cars!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom