How do you drive your manual vehicle?

How do you drive your manual?

• Total voters

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
You need it really only from a dead stop. The other gears can be rev-matched and it'll go right into gear.

I use the clutch all the time though. Driving clutch-less, there's a hard learning curve for your transmission...

Gotcha, I always used my clutch. I rev-matched still using the clutch
when changing gears, but it was purely to make the shifts seem seamless.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
You need it really only from a dead stop. The other gears can be rev-matched and it'll go right into gear.

I use the clutch all the time though. Driving clutch-less, there's a hard learning curve for your transmission...

This...it is actually pretty easy once you learn how. Just slip it out of gear and hold firm pressure on the gear you want when the rpms are matched it will automatically slide into gear with no grinding or fuss.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
wow there are some fools on this site.

i object to the term "slushbox" especially since a built auto will outperform a built manual every time where it matters. then again..maybe some of you guys are into fast and the furious style shifting where you somehow have 500 gears.

i drove my 79 hard...really hard...harder than most of you would ever imagine putting your car through. 6700 rpm shifts full on the t56. i was young and stupid and i regret it. nothing like killing a twin disc clutch in less than 1k miles.

i'll take my "slushbox" anyday now.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel

i object to the term "slushbox" especially since a built auto will outperform a built manual every time where it matters. then again..maybe some of you guys are into fast and the furious style shifting where you somehow have 500 gears.

i drove my 79 hard...really hard...harder than most of you would ever imagine putting your car through. 6700 rpm shifts full on the t56. i was young and stupid and i regret it. nothing like killing a twin disc clutch in less than 1k miles.

Autos are faster, the ONLY advantage a manual car has is for road racing and that's not even that much.

I used to be manual guy, but after enduring it for 5 years...looking back my previous hot rod had a nice built AT...and it was more fun.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Its not always about "all out performance" or "fast and the furious". To a lot people, driving a manual is much more engrossing and enjoyable than an auto.

It is for me. built auto and giant converter on my last DD. i don't mess around with cutesy wootsy "gas clutch shift clutch gas repeat " I guess for some people it IS fun...if i had a slow car i'd want it to feel as quick as possible as well. Lower the bitch, stiff springs, stage 3+ clutch on a stock motor stock trans stock diff just for that "hells ya" feel.

Autos are faster, the ONLY advantage a manual car has is for road racing and that's not even that much.

I used to be manual guy, but after enduring it for 5 years...looking back my previous hot rod had a nice built AT...and it was more fun.

I like you. even though your avatar creeps me out a bit.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It is for me. built auto and giant converter on my last DD. i don't mess around with cutesy wootsy "gas clutch shift clutch gas repeat " I guess for some people it IS fun...if i had a slow car i'd want it to feel as quick as possible as well. Lower the bitch, stiff springs, stage 3+ clutch on a stock motor stock trans stock diff just for that "hells ya" feel.

I like you. even though your avatar creeps me out a bit.
This thread says how do you drive your manual car....so why you in here? Just sounds like you don't know how to drive a car :mamoru:

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
I always use the clutch in the vette.

Sure autos are faster at the dragstrip no question, but for me I like the control I have with a manual and it is a ton more fun to drive my car in a manual then it would be auto.

I had an auto in my 71 chevelle with a shiftkit. It was fun but isnt the same to me. Keep in mind Im not a hardcore track guy either.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

It takes a lot more talent to drive a manual fast without blowing up a clutch and transmission than to just throw a converter and a built tranny on the car. And I like being able to row my own gears, my DD is not a race car and it by no means is fast and I don't want it to be, I want it to be reliable. When I drive an auto I get disconnected with the car and I lose the driving experience. To each his own.

And i stick by my term of slushbox because 99.99% of autos out there ARE slushboxes.

Thread Info