How do you drive your manual vehicle?

How do you drive your manual?

• Total voters

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
This thread says how do you drive your manual car....so why you in here? Just sounds like you don't know how to drive a car :mamoru:

I'd rather not know how to drive a car than be illiterate/ignorant like you just proved yourself to be.

1) I obviously do have a manual car, as my posts state.
2) there is an option for "slushboxes", and i'm not the only one that voted that way, so obviously, the OP assumed auto owners would come in.

Hmm...I hope you don't miss gears as much as you miss words in a post.

I will concede the fact that some people like the 'connection' they get by being able to control shifts. I did get a little addicted to that aspect...but I soon got over it and went back to autos. To each his/her own.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
I never owned an automatic car until the G8, and the only reason that I bought an auto car is because the G8 had EVERY other aspect of a vehicle that I was interested nailed down to the 'T' and I couldn't afford a GXP. I love my G8, but even after tuning the TCM to provide some nice firm shifts which provide great straight line, stomp it and go, quickness, it will NEVER be able to shift and hold gears or downshift the way that a person would do with a manual transmission. I would hands down prefer to drive a manual over an automatic no matter the context of the driving (DD, drag strip, autox/road race).

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I agree with Chrisco.

I was chasing a non turbo Porsche the other day in my GTP, got on it at about 80 and it took me a second to get going and get in the power band. In the SHO, I could have jammed 3rd and been right where I need to be and caught up to him even quicker, and continued to make power until I wanted to shift.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
I dont. Put in a TH400 instead. :hsugh:

ding ding

I never owned an automatic car until the G8, and the only reason that I bought an auto car is because the G8 had EVERY other aspect of a vehicle that I was interested nailed down to the 'T' and I couldn't afford a GXP. I love my G8, but even after tuning the TCM to provide some nice firm shifts which provide great straight line, stomp it and go, quickness, it will NEVER be able to shift and hold gears or downshift the way that a person would do with a manual transmission. I would hands down prefer to drive a manual over an automatic no matter the context of the driving (DD, drag strip, autox/road race).

dunno why anyone would downshift in a drag race...seems plain stupid to me, but then again i am a bit ol school.

since i don't roll race i guess i don't care about manual trannys anymore. oh well.

different strokes for different folks.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

ding ding

dunno why anyone would downshift in a drag race...seems plain stupid to me, but then again i am a bit ol school.

since i don't roll race i guess i don't care about manual trannys anymore. oh well.

different strokes for different folks.

See for me drag racing is really not much of an interest, I would rather auto-x and race on a road course because that is more of the ultimate test of a driver, not necessarily the car. 9 times out of 10 its the driver letting down the car than vice versa. On a road course you need to know how to downshift properly without blowing up the engine, clutch, and trans, then taking the best line around a turn and be in the correct gear coming out of that turn to be prepared for the upcoming corner or straight. You can make an auto as quick and precise as you want, but it will never be able to replace selecting your own gear, and being able to downshift properly to meet braking load, and wanting it to hold a gear to take the next quick turn. And let's get one thing straight I am talking about converter autos not double-clutch manumatics, which are very good on a road course, but I would still prefer a true manual for challenge sake.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
See for me drag racing is really not much of an interest, I would rather auto-x and race on a road course because that is more of the ultimate test of a driver, not necessarily the car. 9 times out of 10 its the driver letting down the car than vice versa. On a road course you need to know how to downshift properly without blowing up the engine, clutch, and trans, then taking the best line around a turn and be in the correct gear coming out of that turn to be prepared for the upcoming corner or straight. You can make an auto as quick and precise as you want, but it will never be able to replace selecting your own gear, and being able to downshift properly to meet braking load, and wanting it to hold a gear to take the next quick turn. And let's get one thing straight I am talking about converter autos not double-clutch manumatics, which are very good on a road course, but I would still prefer a true manual for challenge sake.

like i said. different strokes for different blokes. if you are saying that drag racing doesn't require skill then you obviously haven't done it to an extreme enough level.

the way i see it...auto-x is for people who are too scared to drag race and then take solice in hiding behind turns curves etc.

you should head out to BIR. amazing track. fun times for sure...its wonderful seeing people in 70k+ cars driving like shit but wearing a full 3k dollar "track outfit"

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:bowrofl: auto-x is for people scared of dragracing. This fuckin' guy!

I don't think too many people are "scared" of drag racing. It's fun once or twice but it gets boring....it's the same old thing.
I've never auto-x'd but I've done a few track days and it for sure takes a lot more skill then drag racing does. I'd imagine auto-x is the same but shit is a lot quicker. I'd still like to give it a shot.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
:rofl: I like where this is going.

The one thing that stuck in my head from the first track day I signed up for 'wheels dig in, and cars flip over' the first time I went off, thats all that went thru my head. When I was a passenger in an E36 M3 that wrecked at Autobahn last month, while we were headin towards the tire wall, thats all I could think of.

Drag racing is definetly more scary that autox/road racing..

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
like i said. different strokes for different blokes. if you are saying that drag racing doesn't require skill then you obviously haven't done it to an extreme enough level.

the way i see it...auto-x is for people who are too scared to drag race and then take solice in hiding behind turns curves etc.

you should head out to BIR. amazing track. fun times for sure...its wonderful seeing people in 70k+ cars driving like shit but wearing a full 3k dollar "track outfit"

Never said that drag racing didn't require skill, especially when you start to get into the extreme horsepower stages. Just not my stick. I do think that drag racing can get a bad rap because of the street racing scene and I think many people unknowingly put them into the same category, but for me I'd like to turn left and right and bring a car to the ragged edge for minute after minute or for an hour than just for a few seconds at a time.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:rofl: I like where this is going.

The one thing that stuck in my head from the first track day I signed up for 'wheels dig in, and cars flip over' the first time I went off, thats all that went thru my head. When I was a passenger in an E36 M3 that wrecked at Autobahn last month, while we were headin towards the tire wall, thats all I could think of.

Drag racing is definetly more scary that autox/road racing..
Yea that for sure is scary. My first track day at gingerman resulted in an M3 going straight off the back straight into the pit exit hitting the wall/tires (running track backwards). On top of that it was on and off raining throughout the day.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Manual is better imo, more fun, more connected to the car and you have so much more control. But if ur going for consistency then autos are better because humans are the biggest mistake in driving a manual.

Autos are for lazy and old people :rofl: plus they are boring as all hell. The only thing they are good for is traffic and bracket drag racing, and you won't find a full auto at a road race cause they suck and can't get into the rev range that you need ( manumatics don't count)

But that's just my opinion

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
man. lots of crashes in road courses. seems like there are more people who claim that driving on one requires skill than people who actually have that skill.

street racers don't deserve any credit in any form of legitimate motorsport. they are reckless, ignorant, often times unskilled folk with more balls than brains...which is never a good combination. The days of 'street draggin' are gone.

my auto stays in the rpm zone pretty much all the time...but i gues stock vs stock autos do suck when it comes to picking performance levels. Oh well...i'll still be takin my auto onto BIR for shits and giggles.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Don't forget the term "power shifting". At least that is what the porter at the dealship said he could do with a 5.0 Mustang on the wholesale lot back in 1996. Needless to say his "powershifting" resulted in a transmission failure!!!

"Power Shifting" still uses a clutch.

and be in the correct gear coming out of that turn to be prepared for the upcoming corner or straight. You can make an auto as quick and precise as you want, but it will never be able to replace selecting your own gear, and being able to downshift properly to meet braking load, and wanting it to hold a gear to take the next quick turn.

and you won't find a full auto at a road race cause they suck and can't get into the rev range that you need ( manumatics don't count)

I am not sure what automatics you have drove but most will hold a gear when you use the shifter. Shift up and down as needed. Some will not hold first gear but that is a easy adjustment.

Most automatics will allow braking load. But usually will not have the same amount as a manual trans will.

If you have a correctly stalled converter you are going to be in your torque curve as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal. Even if you have it in too high of a gear. Now a manual car you would have to suffer with too low of an engine rpm and wait for the power to come on. OR take the time and down shift one more gear. Now imagine with the stalled auto now your not worried as much about the gear your in and you can concentrate on your braking and line even more.

I am not saying one is better than the other. Just throwing out some points that no one brought up yet.

Oh yeah. I use the clutch all the time up & down shifting and 99% of the time when I come to a stop. This included stock auto transmissions and a face plated (no syncros) trans. Now if we are talking big rig than that is a different story. haha The main reason I use the clutch is it is cheaper and easier than rebuilding a trans because of a wasted syncro or a gear with a chipped tooth.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007

If you're on the highway and doing from a roll you'd need a down shift. Its called kick down, some cars even have a kick down button located under the accelerator pedal to tell the tranny to down shift.

How old are you, for being "Ol School" and all?

Autos are for ******s, old people and midgets who have stubby legs. Which one are you, Crunks?

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Crunkmaro's new mod.
tampon.jpg

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=22&zenid=o30v9i2sifco5sp6rmu1bkgli4

Thread Info