How big is the timing chain stretching issue with 20tens-teens GM 6 cylinders?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
What do you guys think of the timing chain stretching issue that is often reported on GM 6 cylinders? The 3.0 LF1, 3.6 LLT, etc. I have been looking at Buick LaCrosses to replace my Cadillac and this engine issue has been mentioned. Is it going to happen to most of these engines or will a good oil change history and low miles be enough to make the cars worth buying? Does the engine need to be removed at most shops for repairs or is it possible to replace the chains and guides with the engine in place? Thanks!

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
These are money maker engines for me for sure. Good oil changes help but eventually you're going to stretch a chain. Most can be done with the engine in the car still, cam alignment tools are needed, and I always use the OEM GM chain set.

I wouldn't recommend buying any vehicle that has that engine. It's going to be a pile of shit

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
They pay my bills though
giphy.gif

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I did some more research on the LaCrosse and it looks like Buick replaced the LLT engines with the LFX 3.6 in 2012-2016. Supposedly GM addressed the timing chains and oil burning issues somewhat with a stronger chain and a shorter oil change interval. The advice was the 2013 and newer cars are less prone to the timing chain failures.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
You're probably referring to the LFA. The LFX is only in the 2019 and newer Vehicles like the Blazer Etc and it has less chains and less guides to address the issue of the two older 3.6 engines
Technically they have the same number of chains, they are just configured differently. They eliminate the intermediate cam chain but use a chain to drive an oil Pump so it’s the same number, but so far they have been more reliable.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Well that's nice to hear, his old lady still wants me to figure out how to disable the start-stop feature without having a scanner connected to the DLC port constantly. And I would love to get rid of the new version of the dod.

I should clarify that it does have the start-stop mode disable button but she hates pushing it every time she turns the key.... it's a 2020 Blazer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info