3800 how bad is it for my GTP

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
over my spring break i went down to Missouri to visit a very good friend of mine. unfortunatly she lives in a small town with gas stations that dont know what 93 octane is. i was forced to put 87 in my GTP (which made me want to cry)
is it really bad for my car? i know with the supercharger it makes the compression higher, which will burn the fuel faster. and detonation occurs when fuel is burned pre-maturely. higher octane fuels burn longer which prevents detonation.....i understand all that. but when i had the 87 octane in my tank i stayed off the supercharger. not letting my car rev over 2500 RPMs and when going up hills coming basicly to a crawl to prevent the throttle body from opening up and letting the supercharger work its magic. the way i see it i should be ok...right? unless im missing something. also what is the lowest octane i should put in? cuz once i got back to civilization i could only find 91 from BP......which made me feel better, although i thought BP had 93 everywhere....

thx for the feedback in advance. hopefully my car wont piss oil from having 87 octane from hick-town gas station in forsyth MO....

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I'd say so long as you stayed off the gas you'll be fine. Also, considering there are a lot of places where the highest octane you can get is 91 (like Cali.) I'm sure GM actually set the car up to survive on 91 just fine. 93 is obviously better, but if 91 was all you could get, I wouldn't worry about waking up to find chipped pistons or anything.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
isnt there a low octane table for timing?

how it detects and/or switches over to it in the first place I dont know

but I'm fairly certain there is one in the pcm for times like this or when people who dont know what they're doing put in the wrong gas.

anybody actually know about this?
[/b]

I believe once the computer detects a certain amount of kr over a certain time span, it then switches to the "bad" spark table which has reduced timing.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
well my car seems to be fine. im back in the chicago land area with my beloved BP/Shell gas stations with 93. my car seems to run fine. thx for the feedback and making me feel better. i did stay off the gas the whole time i was down there. i may have looked like an old grandpa driving, but its better than having a chipped piston from hot-roddin on 87 octane

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
And who buys these cars to drive sensibly?[/b]
You'd be surprised. I bet you 80% of the buyers of the GTPs buy them for the leather, heads up, moonroof, etc. I bet you the percentage is even higher for those that buy the Regal GS.

Go into the dealer, ask for the top of the line model, done. I think the reason we see 3.4 pulley cars blowing up now when we never have before is because the cars are being bought used, have been running 87 octane most of their life, and have carbon deposits that are making a bad situation worse (compounded with a smaller pulley).

That's just my opinion though.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Hey, my other car is a Taurus. What do I know? :)

Mikey, I should show you the #8 injector intake valve on my parts SHO right now. It's a good example what carbon deposits can do.
[/b]

Speaking of Taurus' I should get to tearing mine down. I STILL don't know what locked it up. :angry: I miss that "slow", obnoxiously loud family sedan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info