3800 How bad am I doing?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
How? It’s going the wrong direction. You’re talking about the old 60’s and 70’s FWD transmissions with no overdrive, correct?
From what I understand, the torque flexes the case, causing the valvebody to leak internally. At 500hp, it will probably last forever though. That's about when people seem to get really tired of the 65e, so the 80e is a good solution for 500hp cars, but it's not capable of being the 600hp solution we are after.

Reactions: v6buicks

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Just saw another thread on FB about the 80E failure. Apparently the transmission at the valve body face warps causing a leak with the VB…

That’s crazy power!

He said he was doing 700+ for many runs
Yup, that's what I was seeing. I don't understand how the ls4 guys don't see this problem, but both the high hp 3800 guys did.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
what do you think is holding you back? 330 is good for what in these cars? Mid 12’s?

Best I’ve gone is 12.9 @ 112. This was on all seasons with a shitty 60’. So there is certainly some room to shave a few tenths off the ET if I were to run a DR. But the 4T65E scares me away from doing such things.

As far as my build goes, there are two things I’d change if I ever had to motivation to tear back into it.

1.) Ported Heads
2.) Swap the Gen 3 S2IC for a Gen V one. Alignment is not optimal between the two, but I didn’t want to deal with buying a new IC setup when I swapped to the Gen V

The dyno numbers were the output of a Dyno Tune at ZZP. I had asked them to keep both the timing and shift points conservative. I popped a piston on my previous block, and wanted a build I could abuse without concerns of breaking. So maybe there is some HP left on the table there? I didn’t think squeezing another 10 HP out was worth the risk of running on the edge.

Reactions: sktchy

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The 4t80e channel plate does not carry any of the chain load.
Not a damn part in the atsm is labeled a channel plate
The drive sprocket bearings ride directly on the steel turbine Hub that bolts into the bell housing.

The Driven sprocket bearing rides directly on The Driven sprocket support next to the 2nd gear clutch.
Yes there are a few apply passages through the support...

The closest thing the 80e has to a channel plate is the side case cover.

There is a TSB involving paper blowout but it was predominantly on the early Transmissions were the cases stress relieved excessively over time.

I've always seen Builders use hightack on papers though too....

You know stock turbohydramatic400s did pretty good behind mild Big Blocks but they still had to be modified and upgraded to deal with more power and torque.

The 80e is no different except it's handicapped with all the nvh requirements of a Cadillac trans

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
He is claiming that the channel plate is badly warped. The transmission builder is telling him it's from the torque.

But, I think it was also a high mileage transmission with an unknown past.
I’m going to agree with you 100%. I’ve been working on cars since the 90’s day in day out and I’ve never seen a trans “warp” from TQ. They break! Window! Snap parts or send shrapnel throughout.

Warping is from prolonged high temp heating the part. This may be the time to start using bad ass fan cooled external Trans coolers with more fluid somewhere.

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
Sum bitch. Got in the car to go to the store, started it and heard a POP and car dies. Won’t restart. (MFER!)

KOEO does fuel pump make noise? Check.
Any fuel in the rail? Nope.

Pulled pump assembly out of cover hole in trunk. Found the hose at the pump popped off. Don’t understand why AEM didn’t see fit to have a barb on the end of the pump so the hose can’t just do what it did and pop off.

Needless to say the hose clamp now is as tight as it will go. At least it only took me 15 minutes (or less) to fix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info