3800 How bad am I doing?

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
I have lurked on this website for many years, reading posts and trying to soak up some info on these little V6's. Its kinda cool to finally be able to contribute something. One of the shockers I found after purchasing this Intimidator was how bad the aftermarket is on the 3800's these days. Back in the day I could have sworn there were at least 5 companies out there. Now it seems there are 2 which lack important parts and then theres Milzy, which seems from their reviews is a good place to get scammed even on easy to obtain parts. Its kind of a real bummer considering I am in the 3800 game now. :(

Plans for the car have changed as I have forked over the cash to build it. Initially I wanted to do an intercooled M90 VS cam car, just a good running car type deal that wasnt boring to drive. But it seems like I might not be happy with that decision and as always, I will just end up wanting more, so I upped my goals. I want this thing in the solid low 12's at the very least and I want to do it with an M90. I know a turbo would make things easier, then I just have to get a transmission built, but I REALLY dig the whine and it reminds me of a few nasty V8 cars ive owned. Besides, the 3800 doesnt exactly sound like my kind of car so the blower is a nice offset for a poor exhaust note.

So far I have purchased quite the starter kit. I know I have probably wasted some money, but lets see how bad.
IMG_4436.jpeg

As you can see, ZZP has gotten a bunch of my money so far and honestly I have mixed feelings about them. I am used to being in the classic car scene where companies have awesome customer service, I can call whenever and parts are in stock and ready to be shipped. This hasnt been the case with ZZP and it seems like its ran by kids. That worries me. However, ever since Ryan and I have been better acquainted, things have gotten better. Ryan has actually been going out of his way lately to help me out with parts, so were making progress lol. Heres a rundown of whats in the pic above as well as a couple things that aint.

HP tuners software with credits
ZZP FSIC with front mount and pump
Deka 60's with ZZP fuel rails
AEM E85 fuel pump and "high flow" filter
1.9 rockers that are about to be returned for a cam and cam kit.
3" down pipe
3" resonator for a custom exhaust I am getting built by a local shop using mandrel bent 3" stainless
Autolite 103's
ZZP MPS with a 3"
Pulley puller
180 degree thermostat
ZZP 4" intake kit (not pictured as its on the car)
ZZP plug wires (also on the car)
GM PCM tray
Longer belt but soon to buy a belt wrap pulley kit.

So how bad am I doing so far?

The decision to ditch the 1.9's and go to a cam was a good decision. I just need to decide which cam to run. Im torn between the S1X, XP and then me just being me, wanting to port the heads, the LIM, then add an XPZ and shoot for 400 wheel using a ported Gen III. Id have gone Gen V but I cant find any at the moment that dont need a rebuild and I intially purchased the Gen 3 intercooler for a 1.9 rocker build. I honestly dont think id be giving up too much with a ported gen 3 over a 5 but thats just my uneducated guess. I am going to install all this shit after I get the exhaust done, which is scheduled in 2 weeks.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
A ported gen 3 and those mods should make it a pretty fun car. I would skip the RR and just go cam. I had a s1x and loved the sound and drive ability, but I felt there were better cams for power out there. You plan on e85 for fuel? You might be one of the lucky ones and get away with a stockish transmission, but I was never lucky and needed that 4t65ehd built and rebuilt several times. Trying to think who else dabbled in the intercooled and supercharged racket. 10sec 10sec PANDA PANDA TommyGloves TommyGloves Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc

Reactions: sktchy

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
That's a nice starter set for sure but that transmission isn't going to like low 12's :rofl: it's what kills every build.
I know. Seems like that’s the Achilles Hill on these cars. The worst part is, I can’t find any GMP chain sets. A guy who has a pretty nice 600hp+ GTP is running one of his own with really good results and is talking about making them. He goes by the YouTube name Carter Motorsports. His GTP is pretty quick. Definitely respectable! We’ll see how that turns out.

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
A ported gen 3 and those mods should make it a pretty fun car. I would skip the RR and just go cam. I had a s1x and loved the sound and drive ability, but I felt there were better cams for power out there. You plan on e85 for fuel? You might be one of the lucky ones and get away with a stockish transmission, but I was never lucky and needed that 4t65ehd built and rebuilt several times. Trying to think who else dabbled in the intercooled and supercharged racket. 10sec 10sec PANDA PANDA TommyGloves TommyGloves Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc

Not with my luck! I’ve already started a transmission slush fund. ?

Looking at the cams it seems the XP lobe is harder on the valves and seats, but probably has better power than the S1X.

The S1X however seems like it’s a good daily cam. Since this isn’t a daily I’m not too worried about that aspect as long as it does drive decent. (Which is subjective) BUT… I think the S1X truthfully may be the best all around cam made. This is however, just from the bullshit I’ve read.

Reactions: SleeperLS

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The S1X however seems like it’s a good daily cam. Since this isn’t a daily I’m not too worried about that aspect as long as it does drive decent. (Which is subjective) BUT… I think the S1X truthfully may be the best all around cam made. This is however, just from the bullshit I’ve read.
I truly loved my S1X. It had a great chop at idle, and I never noticed any driveability issues with it.

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
The “equalizer” actually makes these cars bearable when the exhaust is uncorked, fyi.

Solid build though.
I had my chances to go equalizer but decided against it. I might change my mind down the road. The problems I have with it are the extra heat, the flow restriction and the price. $600 bucks for a y bend is a lot of dough for a piece of pipe. Granted I know I am paying for the knowledge on HOW to bend it.

Zoomers car lost power with the equalizer. I’m assuming because it was running richer, which he then leaned out some to get the power back up. (Again assumptions)

There’s been a couple guys report higher IAT’s and even a few fires. But I blame those on installation oversights. The crossover pipe was too close to the throttle body and booster. I’m still watching the results open minded though.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Don’t know what prices are lately, but I would just get a Gen V M90 if you are going to stay blown. My regal did 215 or 225, don’t remember, to the wheels with a downpipe, very mild tune, HAI, and I don’t remember if I was running the 3.8 or 3.5 pulley. I want to say it was the 3.8.

Reactions: SHKENBK

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I wouldn't listen to me about anything but I'd say run the rockers until you get to where you wanna be with them and then maybe consider going down the cam road. Get your kinks worked out before you throw the works at it. Otherwise this looks pretty promising and I look forward to seeing where it goes!

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
Zooomer's car only lost power because it was quite a bit more humid and hot. On the same day, it would have dynod the same, if not more.
Zoomer is running PLOGS and still throwing down 400+. Why I bring that up is I plan on running headers eventually and there is some heavy debate going on about headers vs manifolds/PLOGS. I would have guessed a long tube header would help cool the engine more by doing a better job of moving the hot exhaust gasses out. We know you can’t run a equalizer with the “long tube” stainless headers. Aren’t you running headers? Do you recommend them?

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
I wouldn't listen to me about anything but I'd say run the rockers until you get to where you wanna be with them and then maybe consider going down the cam road. Get your kinks worked out before you throw the works at it. Otherwise this looks pretty promising and I look forward to seeing where it goes!
Solid advice. My whole deal is I don’t want to have to take the blower off twice. I’d rather just blow it apart and put it all back together at once. Im not sure what a rocker arm car will do but I’d guess mid 12’s?

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
Don’t know what prices are lately, but I would just get a Gen V M90 if you are going to stay blown. My regal did 215 or 225, don’t remember, to the wheels with a downpipe, very mild tune, HAI, and I don’t remember if I was running the 3.8 or 3.5 pulley. I want to say it was the 3.8.
I want to skip the Gen V and go to a whipple.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info