TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I want to bring this to the top. I am begging all of you, please talk to someone if you are not mentally feeling well. I just lost a friend and colleague last week and I am bouncing around about how to feel and take this. He was one of the last people I would think to do what he did. Even if it is no one here, or your family, talk to someone if you feel you cant escape whats going on in your life.

^This. While sure COVID may be dangerous and all for some and can spread etc etc..... I feel a year into this the mental effects are far more dangerous. Not only for those struggling but for their family’s, friends etc.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've been out of work for a month now. I've gone on one interview out of about 15 open positions that I've applied for. My wife is working some overtime, I've got unemployment coming in, and enough savings that we'll be fine for a few months if necessary. It's still depressing and takes a toll on my self confidence, though. Like others said, I need to spend less time on social media, and more time on being active and doing things with my daughter and wife. So right now it's a combination of helping my 9 year old with her remote learning, searching job postings for decent positions, and trying to find things to do that don't involve staring at my phone or laptop (like this LOL). I'm still an optimist at heart, and feel that it's just a matter of circumstance and faith for things to work out.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I've been out of work for a month now. I've gone on one interview out of about 15 open positions that I've applied for. My wife is working some overtime, I've got unemployment coming in, and enough savings that we'll be fine for a few months if necessary. It's still depressing and takes a toll on my self confidence, though. Like others said, I need to spend less time on social media, and more time on being active and doing things with my daughter and wife. So right now it's a combination of helping my 9 year old with her remote learning, searching job postings for decent positions, and trying to find things to do that don't involve staring at my phone or laptop (like this LOL). I'm still an optimist at heart, and feel that it's just a matter of circumstance and faith for things to work out.

I thought u were at Carmax for years? Sorry to hear

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm really looking forward to putting 2020 behind me like a lot of people are. This year has been a real mixed bag of highs and lows. Even things that should be highs can feel like lows at times. I'm definitely having to find myself again. I'm hoping we get back some normalcy. Echoing what people are saying, I don't know how I would have made it through this year with out seeing my therapist.

Reactions: Fish

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I thought u were at Carmax for years? Sorry to hear
I was with Carmax up until 2019, and got recruited to be a buyer for Castle Auto. I got furloughed during Covid, and then got recruited and hired by Napleton this past August to be a corporate buyer. In early November my boss left. Then, several Napleton dealerships in IN, WI, MO, and IL were overloaded on inventory and put on a buying freeze. I was told that they didn't need as many buyers anymore due to the changing market conditions. As a recent hire, I was one of the ones to go. :( Been trying to get my old gig at Castle back and looking at some other opportunities, but it's a slow time right now.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It's so sad when people think that's the only option. I'm sure it's really going to get difficult for certain people over the winter.

I forgot to mention this, as it affects me as well. Make sure you get your rest. Lack of sleep really messes with your head. I personally am having this issue since I got thrown onto overnights and find it hard to sleep during the day in a basement with an 11 month old. Even ear plugs cannot help sometimes. Today was maybe a 3.5-4 hours of sleep and Im now at work for hopefully only 8 hours. Which also plays a roll since sometimes I dont know if Im working 8 hours or 12.

When I did overnights before, I also had a hard time sleeping. I didnt notice at first, but looking back I really had some self destructive behavior problems and my mindset didnt think anything was wrong.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
that's bold. i dunno if i could do that. props to you guys for being willing to.
We knew we were going to move as we had a five year plan, so we saved saved saved knowing on jobs and then time to get situated in a new state. And yes it was a little scary, longest I ever went with out a job has been like 48hrs, until now.

Reactions: RedBeard

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
whoa. you're relocating and don't have something lined up?

Ha, nope! I've got enough saved up where it's no big deal. Plus my wife will be able to work remote until September, so we'll have her income. Also, with the inflated market, we're selling the house for 21% more than we paid for it. We were going to either roll that into the new house or use a chunk of it to put in a pool (if the house we buy doesn't already have one).

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ha, nope! I've got enough saved up where it's no big deal. Plus my wife will be able to work remote until September, so we'll have her income. Also, with the inflated market, we're selling the house for 22% more than we paid for it.

wife's income is sweet. does she have insurance then for your family? insurance costs would sway me also.

we'd have enough saved up too, just not landing in a job i'd love would make me nervous.

and yeah inflated market is sweet for selling, but also buying during the same time isn't as sweet :rofl: askmehowiknow.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
wife's income is sweet. does she have insurance then for your family? insurance costs would sway me also.

we'd have enough saved up too, just not landing in a job i'd love would make me nervous.

and yeah inflated market is sweet for selling, but also buying during the same time isn't as sweet :rofl: askmehowiknow.

We have to figure out the incremental cost, and I would just pay it. Her work should cover me as long as I'm unemployed. Or I can use COBRA, but I think that shit is expensive.

We're renting for the next 14 months, so we won't be buying anytime soon. Maybe the market will settle when we buy. Only $745 of our monthly payment is going to principle. So if the value of the home we buy goes down by more than $10k in the next 14 months, it'd be a wash.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info