How about an electric Mustang SUV?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From Autonews:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...20-ford-mustang-crossover?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

IMG_5789.JPG

“DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. has offered a first look at its upcoming Mustang-inspired battery-electric crossover through a sketch of the vehicle's backside.

The teaser image, first shared with Forbes as part of a peek inside its design studio with CEO Jim Hackett, features a dark silhouette marked with the Mustang's signature three-bar taillights. The roof is higher than the standard pony car.”

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I know it is a sketch, but that back bumper is going to have to be HUGE to make up for the rest of the room needed to be a crossover. I honestly do not see a higher roofline, but maybe I do not know these newer gen Mustangs well enough.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Apparently the new Mustang will be on the CD6 platform which is supposed to underpin a whole bunch of shit, including the Exploder...I don't know why you'd use the Mustang name on an SUV? Are they trying to compete with the Macan, QRS5, etc.? I just wanted a RWD sedan from Ford, but it's looking less and less like it's ever going to happen :tear:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Make it a 2 door wagon, add 2" of suspension lift over stock, give it offroad tires, and call it a crossover

ford_mustang_hatchback_by_rainprisk-d96t6nf.jpg

And AWD since next gen platform is supposed to be modular and shared with other vehicles including AWD variants.

Then call it Mustang Allroad like Audi :rofl:

Crowds of people wont be able to hide anywhere.....
On road off road Mustang doesnt care, it will find you.

:s00ls:

Maybe itll be able to handle ditches better than my last one too!

:fu:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Crossover, SUV - neither means anything, so this could very well be a "crossover" like what Mazda calls the CX-3 or how Subaru calls the Outback an SUV. It could just be a hatchback/wagon with AWD, but hatchback and wagon are dirty words.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Problem is, people are eating that shit up...Impreza hatch turns into the XV, the new Regal wagons, the proposed Focus Activ (that's not happening anymore?), and basically all the new CUV's...which are basically car based, 2-4" taller, and uglier.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
byitt4zmgjosapeiy7sc.png

We’ve known for a while that Ford is planning on building a “Mustang inspired” electric SUV, and we’ve known that they wanted to have at least 300 miles of range. It seems that Ford has managed to do even better than that, as they announced today from the “Go Electric” experience in the Netherlands (whatever the hell that is) that the new battery electric vehicle will have a range of 600 km/370 miles, calculated using the World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP).

Ford was calling the SUV the Mach 1 for a while, presumably to emphasize its Mustangian influences, but they seem to be backing off that name. The SUV is expected to be released around 2020, and will be on a purpose-built electric platform, and will not share any components with the dead-dinosaur-powered Mustangs we all know.

The “Mustang-inspired” part is likely going to be limited to design and detailing, as we can see in one of the released teaser pics that the SUV has Mustang-style three-bar taillights

I imagine Ford will try to make it a pretty fast vehicle to maintain Mustang dignity, but, as is the case with almost any electric car, giving it good accelleration really shouldn’t prove to be a problem.

No matter what, 370 miles of range is pretty impressive, and beats the Tesla Model X’s 295 miles by a good margin, and Tesla’s new Model Y’s range of 230 to 280 miles by even more.

If I had to guess, I’d say what we’ll eventually see is a fastback-style mid-sized SUV with Mustang-like taillights, badging, grille treatment. Maybe we’ll also see the traditional Mustang side scoops and the twin-arch dash inside.

It’ll be an electric SUV dressed in a Mustang costume, really, but with good range and performance, that may be just what Ford needs.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Better article with more realistic numbers.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/2/18292752/ford-mustang-ev-mach-1-range-estimate

Ford says the still-unnamed car will eclipse 600 kilometers, or about 370 miles, based on Europe’s Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP).

But don’t count on ever hitting that 370-mile figure if you’re saving up for this car.

The WLTP standard was put in place in 2018 to help evaluate the energy consumption of every car on the road, including the range of EVs. While it’s more strict than the outdated standard it replaced, WLTP estimates are still typically more optimistic than the ones generated by the Environmental Protection Agency in the United States.

It’s hard to say what estimate the EPA will arrive at purely based on the WLTP one. The Jaguar I-Pace got a WLTP rating of about 292 miles, and wound up with an EPA range of 240 miles. By that ratio, Ford’s EV might wind up with a range closer to 300 miles. Other WLTP and EPA comparisons show a narrower difference between the two estimates that can extrapolate to something more like 330 miles.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Problem is it’ll be 2022 before they even make this thing and even then good luck charging it. And good luck finding a dealership that actually gives a fuck about selling an electric car. Only people who really really want an electric car will even know this thing exists as I am betting it’ll have as much advertisement as the volt and bolt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info