• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Houston, we have a problem (Power Steering fliud)

DOC-Z

A person should NOT believe in an "ISM"
Reaction score
Yesterday night I found some clear oily liquid under my car. It has a similar odor to supercharger oil, but only 1/100th the stink. I believe this is power steering fluid, as it's been acting up a little bit.

How hard is this to change in our cars (1999 G/P GTP), and what would you guestimate the amount of time this will take to do?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
My guess is it's the steering rack, which IMO wasn't very hard to change on my car. Took about 2 hours taking our time on a lift.

If it's the pump i know someone that has a used one (ilikebmx) and i also just changed one of those, it was a piece of cake. I had some stuff out of the way cause i was doing my LIM gaskets at the same time but it still would have been pretty easy.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yea I got a low mileage one from Ed that I didn't end up needing. $15 picked up (I'm in crystal lake; not far from you)

DOC-Z

Reaction score
Well, I checked the fluid level and it's spot on. The brake fluid resivoir is w/in normal limits (and on the opposite side) I don't understand. Other than the S/C, what else uses a clear oily liquid.

Maybe I should just swap it out anyway.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
My guess is it's the steering rack, which IMO wasn't very hard to change on my car. Took about 2 hours taking our time on a lift.

If it's the pump i know someone that has a used one (ilikebmx) and i also just changed one of those, it was a piece of cake. I had some stuff out of the way cause i was doing my LIM gaskets at the same time but it still would have been pretty easy.
Yea biggest headache was getting that bolt back in for the column. Other than that swapping the rack wasn't too bad.

skeezer

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
When you say under your car, do you mean on the floor?

Did you happen to get the car in the air and check what's leaking?

What did it taste like?

Was it slippery?

Has anyone been having anal intercourse in your garage lately?

DOC-Z

Reaction score
- No, it wasn't on the floor. It was on the ground (passengers side).

- I don't know what it tastes like. (?!?) People seriously taste OILY $#!t that leaks out of their car?

- See first post.

- Not that I know of...and I really don't care to find out.

raygtps

World ain't what it seems, is it gunny?
Reaction score
When you say under your car, do you mean on the floor?

Did you happen to get the car in the air and check what's leaking?

What did it taste like?

Was it slippery?

Has anyone been having anal intercourse in your garage lately?

LOL Tha'ts good stuff kid.

GTwolf

Reaction score
Mine whines like it's low on fluid but I checked the level and there's plenty in there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom