3800 Hose for fuel pump - need answer fast

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
The hose connected to our fuel pump is made of plastic. Its almost imposible to remove it to keep it in good shape.

Can I use rubber fuel injector line in its place? 5/16" should fit - commonly sold in auto parts stores.

I'm worried that the rubber will loose its strength and consistency if submerged in fuel.

12secGTP: Chris, what did you use when you replaced your fp?
Jamie321: Can you shed some light? BTW, I'm still loosing pressure. I'll talk to you about it.

If anyone has a definitive answer, please respond. I'm in the middle of a transplant right now...

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

damn JET.... just read this now.. prolly a little to late. sorry :(
i had bought the hose from intense but never used it. I ended up reusing the stock one. when removing it, i just put a small 1/8 slice in the side, just enough to get it off. then used a small hose clamp to hold it on.

I personally would not use FI hose in submerged gasoline. JMO...

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
That hose was a bit(h to work on. Ended up using a new hose (sent to me FREE-this one company really took care of me), but I could NOT get it up on all the ribs on the housing nipple. The other end fit the FP perfect, but it would not go up on the other side. I slightly heated up the plastic in order to slip it in and I got it up 2 ribs - no more. I then clamped it and blessed it to hopefully never come off. A few hundred miles and all is well so far.

Thats the short version of my fp story. Since I have time, I'll write the full version LOL ! :D. It just might help someone who wants to upgrade there fp.

I bought a Walbro 340M on the net for $90. I figured I didnt need that plastic hose and I was confident I could reuse it :rolleyes: . FP came in the mail - but it didnt have the power connector! WTH? I email the company back - no responce for days. So I look elsewhere - I find another site selling the pumps. I call up the guy - tell him I need a power connector - he says he's got them. Great, I said. I ask how much? He says - nothing - I'll just ship it to you. He then asks - do you need the plastic hose too?

That was the nicest vendor I have ever spoken too. He shipped he the power connector - which by the way was a direct plug in to the stock. So no need to cut and splice anything. And he shipped the plastic hose.

I was in business. So I take...

Everyone asleep yet? Ok.

So I take apart the fp assembly and I get to the point of removing the rubber sleeve from the orig fp. How the HELL does that come off?!?! Struggle - struggle - pull pull. Nope, that rubber sleeve is not going to come off.
My solution:To take the rubber sleeve off, light tap it off with a screwdriver or similar object.

Now I needed to put the new fp into the sleeve. You really, really need to use a lot of KY Jelly in the sleeve.

Next: remove the little brass return line fitting. Umm ya... That brass fitting is MOLDED into the fp. TO remove the little brass return nipple, I had to cut around the plastic and then wiggled it out.

All this time, I'm thinking - I thought this was going to be EASY. Most of the ClubGP posts on fp replacement said - piece of cake install. I was going to take a break and personally email all those posters and ask them if they worked on the same car :blink: .

I put it all back together with the new pump. However, I could NOT fit that plastic hose to to upper nipple of the assembly. Ended up heating the plastic with a lighter to make it flex a little. I got it in, but only part way. I tugged - pulled - twisted on it - and it was solid. So I left it at that. It didnt look like it needed to be clamped. Installed the new fp assembly into the GP.

Here's where my fun begins.

Next day's test drive. Crank it up : hey! I dont hear the whinning noise anymore (more on this later.) It seems A LOT quieter than the stock fp. I drove it to work and the car felt normal.

A few days later: On my back home from work, I was monitoring with my Alex Pepper scanner to see if the fp was going to solve my kr problems. Did a few WOT bursts. KR was not evident. Cool - I said. Timing advance was maxed - O2's looked good ! Let's flip on the red switch and see what does! I had a good stretch of road and there was no one in front or behind me. I go to WOT and then hit the switch - WHoo hooo! 1 second - 2 seconds -car feels STRONG - 0 KR - 02 voltage is .92mv - 3 seconds later - BRRRRR rrrr .... silence... car lost power ! No bang - no screetch. I immediately pull off the road and stop. I knew EXACTLY what it was - DAMM FP HOSE CAME OFF!

Oh- almost time to go home... I have to hurry up this story.

SO I call the tow truck They said it would take 2 hours for them to come pick me up in McHenry Route 31. I waited in the dark. I said to myself - man - if I could only see what I'm doing, I could probably fix it. I look in the glove compartment and find a AA flashlight. Damm NO battery. Wait, my pager uses AA. Heheh, I now have light. I crawl in the back seat - take out the fp - and I can see that the hose came off. I manage to plug it back IN - it snaped it the two ribs. I knew that wasnt going to stay connected. I just hoped I could go home with it.

Started the car - Broom - I'm in business. Call AAA and tell them I am no longer stranded, but I might call them again in a few minutes. LOL!

A few miles later - died again. I managed to coast into a Walgreens parking lot. That was a loonng coast! But I managed. An Ace Hardware store was across the street. SO was a Pizza place. I go to the Pizza place and order a med - italian beef / mushrooms :p . I go in Ace and buy a rubber hose, clamps, brass bullet that will fit the rubber hose and that pain in the ass plastic hose. Oh- and a bigger flashlight :lol: . Go back to the car - made a rig that worked. Start the car! Walla - back in business.

I then drive across the street to get my preordered Pizza! Cause by this time, I'm cold and hungry.

Dang - that was some good time killed at work. LOL! Its 5:13PM - time to go.
This network admin job is a killer ;) . Ahh, I do my share... really.

OK - recap:
- Tap the rubber sleeve off with screwdriver handle.
- Some people dont even bother with the brass return line hose (little black hose) and they leave it disconnected
- Secure that plastic hose TIGHTLY with clamps.
- For the first few days, be ready for a plan should you break down on the road!

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

My next post: My Subaru horror story! :angry: ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• J
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list