Honda bringing back the Super Cub and Monkey with Grom engine

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
1528462169416.jpg

1528463506694.jpg

I think a lot of car enthusiasts are tempted by motorcycles. They promise much of what we love about cars in an almost absurdly affordable package. I've certainly been tempted a number of times over the last few years, and these two bikes from Honda aren't helping. The names are familiar—Super Cub and Monkey—and they're both making a return to the US market for 2019.

Both bikes use the same 125cc air-cooled four-stroke single-cylinder motor from the lovely Grom, and in the Monkey it's paired with a four-speed manual, while the Super Cub gets a four-speed semi-automatic. Both the original versions of the Super Cub and Monkey used single-cylinders like these, but these new engines are totally modern, with fuel injection and electronic ignition.

Really, the Monkey is just a Grom with retro scrambler styling, which is to say it's fantastic. When it arrives at dealers in October, it'll cost $4000, with ABS costing an additional $200.

The Super Cub is a slightly different proposition. Like the original 50cc wonder that put Honda on the map—and mobilized so much of the world—the new Super Cub C125 is sort-of halfway between a scooter and a motorcycle, with a step through design. Super Cubs have been produced continuously since 1958, but American imports stopped in 1974. The new one will arrive in the states in January 2019, with a price of $3600, and ABS is standard.

In addition to their old-school styling, Honda brought back its classic wing logo for these bikes. The Super Cub only comes in blue, while the Monkey is offered in red, and appropriately, Banana Yellow.
Honda has a hit with the Grom, and surely these will be too. Both promise the same sort of simple, cheap fun, but with amazing styling. We love 'em.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Am I the only one that thinks these things are only good for screwing around in the neighborhood or campgrounds with your buds?

I had a grom and it was surprisingly plenty capable of keeping up on most normal roads. As long as you can do 50 you're golden. It accelerated plenty quick to the point where you weren't afraid of getting run down.

I'm totally in for a monkey variant.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
This is interesting news - Honda recently discontinued the Monkey in Japan and they offered a final run that had to be allocated by lottery because the demand was so high. Came with a chrome fuel tank, some cool badges and a couple other things.

There are grown men who commute on Honda Monkeys here and they have a 49cc engine. Looks like this new US version gets 149cc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info