Homemade Ice Cream

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have an Amazon gift card from Christmas sitting in a drawer. I have been flirting with the idea of buying an ice cream maker. Being a diabetic, I eat very little ice cream because I need to balance amounts of insulin/carbs which can be a pain. It's easier to just not eat ice cream

Anyway, I'm thinking if I am going to eat ice cream once in a great while, why not have it be homemade? No preservatives, better flavor, control of ingredients, etc.

For you guys who use an ice cream maker, what do you think of it and the quality of the ice cream you make? How does it compare to store bought?

Here's the one I'm looking at. I like the combo of price point and ease of use (no rock salt or ice necessary).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041A3KPC/?tag=tcg21-20

71wvF7pOj7L._SL1500_.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I own that exact one. Used it like 10 times over the last 8 years.

We used to heavy cream back when we ate dairy and it was decent when you first made it. Never seemed to keep well in the freezer.

Last few times we used coconut milk and same result but worse. It freezes rock hard and you have to leave it out quite a while (pretty standard with vegan ice cream) but just doesn’t have the same taste as when fresh.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I own that exact one. Used it like 10 times over the last 8 years.

We used to heavy cream back when we ate dairy and it was decent when you first made it. Never seemed to keep well in the freezer.

Last few times we used coconut milk and same result but worse. It freezes rock hard and you have to leave it out quite a while (pretty standard with vegan ice cream) but just doesn’t have the same taste as when fresh.

No preservatives so you probably have to eat it within a day or two. I'm thinking about using it when I have friends over or for birthdays or other special occasions. Looks like you get creamier ice cream if you make a custard first. Thanks for the comment.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
:rofl: Depending on price Id still try it. Maybe dont make big batches and treat it like a Keureg and do single bowls or two? Avoid the whole freezer all together.

More of a PITA but fresh is fresh, and it cant be beat.

Trust me, I have plenty of kitchen toys that sound cool, but dont get much use. Like a breakfast sandwich maker.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, me, too. I'm out of storage space so I have to weigh heavily whether I want something. Might end up in the closet in my office.

I think you need the freezer to go from soft serve to full ice cream. Don't know how long that would take. A few hours?

I like the idea of being able to make flavors you can't find anywhere. Plus, I throw out cream and fruit at times so it would be economically proper to make them into ice cream instead of chucking them. Using high grade ingredients won't be cheap if I'm buying them to make the ice cream.

You can also turn it off early and make things like Wendy's Frosties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPwpFA0Fd4

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yea the drum has to freeze and generally takes overnight. Not a big deal to just store in the freezer if you’ve got the room.

Being just my wife and I we cannot eat the entire quart in a night. I think even next day it doesn’t taste as good. Parties would be good minus it’s only really a quart at a time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I ordered the Cuisinart. Should be coming tomorrow by UPS/Amazon Prime.

24 hours after it arrives to freeze the bowl and then I have some cream in the fridge and berries in the freezer for a first attempt. I'm thinking keep it simple with cream, berries, sugar, vanilla.

You guys have favorite recipes?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Cuisinart ICE 21 arrived yesterday. I cleaned the bowl and placed it in the freezer for 24 hours.

Today I made up some vanilla ice cream mixture using whole milk, cream, vanilla and sugar. Poured it into the now frozen bowl and flipped the switch. After 15 mins, the ice cream was already firming up so I added some mixed berries. Let it run another 5 mins or so and it was ready to remove from the machine into a covered container and into the freezer. Should be ready by the time Amy gets home from some auction she is attending. Of course I sampled it. It's really good.

Do you guys know where some of the best vanilla extract in the world comes from? That's right. Chicago. Now that I have the ice cream maker, I need to make the best ice cream ever so I will order some of this company's product.

Yay. It's on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VLU0I/?tag=tcg21-20

61uCWzTKuxL._SL1000_.jpg

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
We have the same one and use it once every couple months on average. Fresh, the ice cream is hands down better than what you buy at the store. It won't hold as well in the freezer, but is still good a day or two after.

Its fun, the kids like how we can mix in whatever we want. Chopped Reeses, Snickers, Butterfingers, etc.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have been sticking with basic recipes so far. Berry, Vanilla, Chocolate.

I learned that the bucket needs to be in the freezer at least a full 24 hours to reach full frozeness. It helps greatly if you take the ice cream mixture and chill it before putting it in the machine.

My third attempt was the first really successful one. I made chocolate with milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and Ghiradelli cocoa. It's smooth, creamy and tastes really good.

Time to expand the recipe list, maybe attempt some cooked custard or ice cream with eggs recipe. :bigthumb:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I made a salted caramel ice cream base that I'm going to freeze for Amy's birthday tomorrow.

This is a custard based ice cream which means you need to cook it then temper some eggs with the hot liquid and pour them back in to cook into a custard. Because it has a caramel sauce you also need to make caramel which isn't for the faint of heart.

I will post a pic or two tomorrow. For now I have the salted caramel base cooling in the fridge.

Here's the recipe. I suggest reading the comments if you are going to make it. I added extra sea salt because it needed it. I also used the "wet" process to make the caramel because it sounded easier. You can find that method on youtube. It wasn't difficult, just complicated.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/salted-caramel-ice-cream-354517

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I get ice cream making now. The best ice cream is made from a custard which involves using egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and heating cream and milk. Using a custard as the base makes the ice cream SO smooth and decadent. When done right, you don't get any ice crystals. I don't even want to put chocolate sauce on this because it covers up the flavor of the ice cream and detracts from the experience. This is a French Vanilla (which basically means egg yolks have been used).

wO4zKOV.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Anybody ever make waffle cones using an waffle maker? I'm going to try that tonight although I may just make waffle bowls since it's easier.

I have some egg whites left from the french vanilla ice cream I am making so I'm going to make a batter and try using my waffle maker to make the bowls. No idea if it will work yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info