🏡 Better Homes Home Theater - Getting the best sound out of Denon AVR-X1700H

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
We had our main TV revamped last month, we are now running an LG OLED G2 TV, 4K modem, and a AVR-X1700H Denon receiver. The system has 6 speakers, 3 front wall, 2 ceiling and one off-center subwoofer.

I want to try to make the system sound a little better, don't get me wrong it sounds great, I just wonder if there is more. I read that some apps have different sound settings, 5.1 vs 7.1 for Netflix?

Our speakers are old though the AV guy said they are decent. I'm going to try to find the info on them.

1672780585442.png

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
We had our main TV revamped last month, we are now running an LG OLED G2 TV, 4K modem, and a AVR-X1700H Denon receiver. The system has 6 speakers, 3 front wall, 2 ceiling and one off center subwoofer.

I want to try to make the system sound a little better, don't get me wrong it sounds great, I just wonder if there is more. I read that some apps have different sound settings, 5.1 vs 7.1 for Netflix?

Our speakers are old though the AV guy said they are decent. I'm going to try to find the info on them.

Netflix doesn't do 7.1, at least not when I looked into it earlier last year after my home theater was done.

our receiver should have an option to adjust the speaker distance for your exact room placement. Get your speaker in the right spot in your room, measure from the seating area (the central one if possible) and get the distance from the seat to each speaker.

Here are the Dolby links for 5.1.2 and 7.1.2 speaker placement:

I looked into this site but didn't end up using any of their products. I was looking at getting some corner bass traps but never ended getting them yet.

You might want to also look into acoustic panels if you have alot of echo, that might help with the sound as well.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
We had our main TV revamped last month, we are now running an LG OLED G2 TV, 4K modem, and a AVR-X1700H Denon receiver. The system has 6 speakers, 3 front wall, 2 ceiling and one off center subwoofer.

View attachment 146058
As Mook said, use the included microphone to calibrate the receiver, as it has Audyssey built in. Depending on the receiver it'll have you place the microphone in the main seating position, or might have you move it around to different positions. It'll then create a reference that the receiver users for the different inputs.

Edit: It's in the manual here:

And this is the process:

Reactions: Pro Stock John

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Netflix doesn't do 7.1, at least not when I looked into it earlier last year after my home theater was done.

our receiver should have an option to adjust the speaker distance for your exact room placement. Get your speaker in the right spot in your room, measure from the seating area (the central one if possible) and get the distance from the seat to each speaker.

Here are the Dolby links for 5.1.2 and 7.1.2 speaker placement:

I looked into this site but didn't end up using any of their products. I was looking at getting some corner bass traps but never ended getting them yet.

You might want to also look into acoustic panels if you have alot of echo, that might help with the sound as well.
Netflix does Atmos, close enough.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I had my system professionally calibrated but recently ran through the self setup since I added ceiling speakers. Cleaned up the distances and adjusted the levels slightly, pretty close to the pro calibration actually.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Speaker calibration can definitely help, especially when it comes to whether or not the system recognizes the speaker as a large speaker or small speaker, which will affect what is sent to the subwoofer. On my Yamaha, sometimes it would log my bookshelves as large speakers, when I wanted them to be a small speakers. Which I thought was odd, but I went in and made the change. Otherwise, the distance measurements were spot-on.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My concern with using the THX app on a mobile device vs using the dedicated microphone is the frequency range limits. The dedicated microphone would have a greater dynamic range than a cell phone microphone. So it’ll be more accurate. Yeah, it would probably get you close, but I’d opt for the what the factory designed the software around.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah I'd like to try the microphone, I'll reach out to the AV guys and see if they have one. They are supposed to order us another component, balance? thing, which would 'balance' the signal coming from Comcast.... Whjch might be a good opportunity when they are here to use the mic and work on the sound mapping. Evan the a/v guy who does the programming I think did the self tune but I still having this nagging wonder if the mic thing would add to the overall sound shape.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I have been using subtitles for 20+ years, I think the first time I used them was on Lord of the Rings. I never read the books, I saw all 3 in theaters and bought the DVD, then bluray, then bluray extnted, now I have the 4k extended editions.

I found for the fantasy genre, subtitles helps me keep track of the different areas/cities and the characters. It's not like "Detroit" and "Bob", so first watch I had a little trouble following that stuff, subtitles helped me. Now, it's weird to not have on subtitles.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Looking back at the original photos, I wonder if those speakers being at near ceiling level have anything to do with the feeling that something is lacking. Are they angled down behind the grilles? Or are they facing straight out? I thought ear-level was generally recommended for fronts and centers.

Reactions: Intel
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info