🏡 Better Homes Home Solar systems

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Thanks for the clarification.

I’d prefer to own the system myself.
just watch this dudes channel and go to his website. You can put one together in no time.

and for extra research

Reactions: Aircal

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Big project this year is going to be new furnace, AC and ductwork.
If I go solar now, it will be a ground based and not grid tied. I'd start with the system powering my garage since it is detached and go from there.

Less red tape and BS when you don't tie it to the grid or stick it on a roof.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
If I go solar now, it will be a ground based and not grid tied. I'd start with the system powering my garage since it is detached and go from there.

I wish I could go off grid, I just use too much in the winter. I would need a pole barn full of batteries lol.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah Pete I plan to sell in 3 years. And yeah I think solar increases the value, two of my neighbors with the same style house (24 home development) have solar now, one went with a firm that I think is gone, and the other I'm not sure.

Plus anyone buying my house will have to good financials anyway. My house was built in 2009, and it's on the upper end of the market.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
anyone wanna split a pallet of used panels? ends up being about $50/400w panel
From where? I know I said I wasn’t going to, but 99% sure I’m going to DIY a grid tie system through Solar wholesale. Fiancé ok’d it. Just have to dig up financing.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
From where? I know I said I wasn’t going to, but 99% sure I’m going to DIY a grid tie system through Solar wholesale. Fiancé ok’d it. Just have to dig up financing.
gone but

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008
Bringing back this thread because I’m thinking of going solar. Long story short my bills are a average of $150.

After Illinois and federal incentives it will cost me out of pocket around 10k.

So in 5.5 years it will pay for itself.

Supposedly my south facing roof, the pitch of my roof and no tree coverage will have a 8.8kw setup produce and average of 12kw. (Rough numbers)

Sooooo anyone have solar? Any advice?

I no longer will be going with Tesla, they use random outside contractors. I’m mainly looking at certasun and illumen solar.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina

If they'll let you. In Vegas, a friend of mine had enough land to put in enough panels and batteries to disconnect. The city told him he COULDN'T. Part of having a 'legal domicile' within the city limits was to be on city utilities. If he just stopped paying his electric bill, sure they'd disconnect him, then start garnishing his wages, and then turn his power back on.

Now if you are starting with powering a separate building, you might not run into that, if your city/township doesn't have those types of laws

Bringing back this thread because I’m thinking of going solar. Long story short my bills are a average of $150.

After Illinois and federal incentives it will cost me out of pocket around 10k.

So in 5.5 years it will pay for itself.

Supposedly my south facing roof, the pitch of my roof and no tree coverage will have a 8.8kw setup produce and average of 12kw. (Rough numbers)

Sooooo anyone have solar? Any advice?

I no longer will be going with Tesla, they use random outside contractors. I’m mainly looking at certasun and illumen solar.

A few questions on your math. Is that OoP expense include enough batteries to handle your peak average consumption during the "short days" of the year?
And does your capture setup exceed your peak consumption during 'short days' enough to provide enough of a charge?
And most of those battery systems need to be replaced every 5 to 8 years. So your savings will evaporate.

Please don't take this as a solar naysayer. I've been watching it myself for a while. My house length orientation is E-W, and the back slant on my house is almost completely unobstructed, so plenty of panel space. For me, I haven't found a way where I live to ever 'get ahead' after maintenance/upkeep. Especially in the summer with the A/C. I have to stay on the grid.

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008
If they'll let you. In Vegas, a friend of mine had enough land to put in enough panels and batteries to disconnect. The city told him he COULDN'T. Part of having a 'legal domicile' within the city limits was to be on city utilities. If he just stopped paying his electric bill, sure they'd disconnect him, then start garnishing his wages, and then turn his power back on.

Now if you are starting with powering a separate building, you might not run into that, if your city/township doesn't have those types of laws

A few questions on your math. Is that OoP expense include enough batteries to handle your peak average consumption during the "short days" of the year?
And does your capture setup exceed your peak consumption during 'short days' enough to provide enough of a charge?
And most of those battery systems need to be replaced every 5 to 8 years. So your savings will evaporate.

Please don't take this as a solar naysayer. I've been watching it myself for a while. My house length orientation is E-W, and the back slant on my house is almost completely unobstructed, so plenty of panel space. For me, I haven't found a way where I live to ever 'get ahead' after maintenance/upkeep. Especially in the summer with the A/C. I have to stay on the grid.

No batteries in my quote. This is tied into the grid 1for1 to comed. If I don’t use it I lose it.

Reactions: Trinten
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info