This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Goddamn, my main furnace ran 7 hours yesterday and upstairs furnace 3.75 hours
OK how does this compare to mine.
DEEZUZ DEEZUZ furnace is sized correctly for the house. Design temp in our area is 0*. Meaning, at 0* the furnace should perfectly match the load running 100% of the time.

FirstWorldProblems N20GT stuff is mega oversized, short cycling and wasting energy.

I’d bet 90% of equipment or better is oversized. Granted most equipment capacity is in 20k BTU jumps for furnaces. Two stage or modulating equipment is the way to go. It matches the load much better and will provide better comfort because it stays running near continuously and gets rid of cold/hot spots.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
My furnace is probably going to run most of the day will have a fire soon

giphy.gif

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
DEEZUZ DEEZUZ furnace is sized correctly for the house. Design temp in our area is 0*. Meaning, at 0* the furnace should perfectly match the load running 100% of the time.

FirstWorldProblems N20GT stuff is mega oversized, short cycling and wasting energy.

I’d bet 90% of equipment or better is oversized. Granted most equipment capacity is in 20k BTU jumps for furnaces. Two stage or modulating equipment is the way to go. It matches the load much better and will provide better comfort because it stays running near continuously and gets rid of cold/hot spots.
So I'm good?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

Interesting, so it's considered normal for a furnace to run basically 100% of the time on cold days, and that doesn't affect longevity?

Hearing this makes me feel a little better that my furnace is basically off 8 hours/day while we're at work, so when it kicks back on, it runs for a while to get the temps from low 60's up to 68.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Interesting, so it's considered normal for a furnace to run basically 100% of the time on cold days, and that doesn't affect longevity?

Hearing this makes me feel a little better that my furnace is basically off 8 hours/day while we're at work, so when it kicks back on, it runs for a while to get the temps from low 60's up to 68.
lowering temps when you leave

psh GIF

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

Yes. At design temperature for your area, if your equipment is sized correctly, it should run non stop. Applies to cooling too.

You can look up the info here:

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Get more insulation in the attic and air sealing. There’s good rebates on it and it’s basically the same price for a pro to do it vs DIY at that point
Like I said I have one double bay window/wall that's fucking stone cold and I can feel a draft. I'll probably have to tear the drywall out to insulate it?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Get more insulation in the attic and air sealing. There’s good rebates on it and it’s basically the same price for a pro to do it vs DIY at that point

i have an actual fuck ton in my attic. 18"+ in most areas.

air sealing i need to find someone reputable- any ideas?

my issue is front bedroom has 3 exterior walls and faces south east. it's just fucked by the sun as also no shade whatsoever.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Like I said I have one double bay window/wall that's fucking stone cold and I can feel a draft. I'll probably have to tear the drywall out to insulate it?
Caulk the trim to the wall so there’s no air gaps. You’re probably feeling radiant cooling mostly from all that glass.

Is the underside of the bay that protrudes out of the house built out to the ground or is it just a cantilever with bare plywood underneath?

Reactions: DEEZUZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info