🔧 BUILD Holden on to hope

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Its out! I feel so much better about this. Unfortunately confirmed the original 5.7 is long gone and a 5.3 was put in. Everything makes sense now. Glad to be starting "fresh"

20210503_192730.jpg
20210503_191614.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think a lot of people like the LS7 clutch for a very stock like feel with decent, if not more than the LS1 stocker had, holding power.

The disc in the upper right portion of the pic is worn down to the groves (the other side doesn't look bad actually). That tells me it's not hitting the flywheel perfectly flat, which could be indicative of that burn mark on the flywheel. Sorta makes me feel that someone dumped the clutch at a higher level of RPM OR the slave/throwout bearing wasn't functioning properly (could be bad, could be air in the hydrualic system...)

I would say it's done. You've got it out now, might as well replace it, instead of getting it all together, only to realize it won't hold at high rpm's and have to tear it down again.

Reactions: Charlie_Boy7

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Alright, so im lowering the engine into place and trying to get the back of the engine to line up with the trans, input shaft, and clutch but its kicking my ass?. Is there any other way to line it all up without dropping the cradle? Seems to be the only drawback of having a clutch during reinstall. Also worried about the fins on the clutch being damaged by the input shaft if i try to force it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I've owned/driven several manual transmission vehicles, but I've never had to make repairs on them. Is this considered done? Lol what's a good stock or near stock replacement?

View attachment 88668View attachment 88669
Seriously the LUK LS7 package on Amazon is a great deal. I make 365 rwhp and the clutch holds fine and comes with flywheel and everything. Probably have over 30k miles on mine already. And I'm shitty at driving stick

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Alright, so im trying to get the engine to line up with the input shaft and clutch but its kicking my ass?. Is there any other way to line it all up without dropping the cradle? Seems to be the only drawback of having a clutch during reinstall. Also worried about the fins on the clutch being damaged by the input shaft if i try to force it
There is a tool that comes with the clutch. Install the clutch with bolts loose, install spline tool to align splines. Tighten the bolts

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
There is a tool that comes with the clutch. Install the clutch with bolts loose, install spline tool to align splines. Tighten the bolts

I worded my post incorrectly out of frustration. The clutch is on and im lowering the engine in the bay now. I just cant seem to get the rear of the engine lined up with the trans well enough. I'll edit the other post

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Oh yea I would never keep a trans in and expect to align it without issue.

What's the trans, 4 bolts a shifter and a few mins and it's out?

Then again I'm the one who caught the t56 as it slipped off the jack and rolled off my creeper into 4 qts of trans fluid and bench pressed the trans up, aligned trans and started 2 bolts in one swift motion.

• Wow
Reactions: Charlie_Boy7

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
I think the issue he's having is getting the input shaft of the trans aligned to the same angle of the engine/clutch to get it in to the pilot bearing. Which is just a matter of balancing it on a trans jack/jack until it goes in.

This.

Nailed it. Lol sorry i worded the original post poorly out of frustration.

The back of the oil pan is catching the rack. Raising the engine clears the rack but then puts the shaft right on the fins.

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Oh yea I would never keep a trans in and expect to align it without issue.

What's the trans, 4 bolts a shifter and a few mins and it's out?

Then again I'm the one who caught the t56 as it slipped off the jack and rolled off my creeper into 4 qts of trans fluid and bench pressed the trans up, aligned trans and started 2 bolts in one swift motion.

Ah, I've screwed myself then. Ive got the floor jack under the trans and its helping but yeah not quite enough

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Back the trans up would've been easier me thinks. That realignment of the cradle might prove to be painful.

But as long as it works... I is happy.
Lol yeah its all good. Got it done in about 30mins

But wait look what else i found. Replaced it this morning. That would've ruined everything!
Snapchat-1475475865.jpg

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Thread Info