• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical HIR halogen bulbs...any experience with these?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
So my wife’s new vans headlights blow. Has 9005 bulbs in projectors. Tried high wattage bulbs to find out the bulbs PWM controlled.

Made headlight harness and added 55w HID kit. Worked really well until night we left for Florida...one side failed in the driveway as we were leaving. So I swapped in one halogen on that side. Rained almost whole way down. Visibility was horrible.
So I put in the other halogen 9005 for now, and want to try some HIR 9011 bulbs for the drive back to IL.
Are these really a big upgrade in performance? I had never heard of HIR until yesterday.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
AlfaOBD and security gateway module bypass and you can probably disable the PWM.

Possibly AppCar Diag FCA and a Bluetooth OBDII Dongle might allow it as well.

Basically like coding your BMW but with a FCA vehicle.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Not really interested in LED, want to stay away from aftermarket stuff. My experience with higher color temperature bulbs is that rain visibility is really bad
The ones I posted are claimed 6000K, but they're closer to 5000K, a nice bright white (I despise the blue/purple of higher K rating). My prior HID's were 4300K, so almost no difference, and they work great in the rain. Also, these have both a heatsink and fan for cooling.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. GM used them in many vehicles in the early to mid 2000's. My Bonneville GXP came with them in the high beams standard. I think I bought the bulbs below from Candlepower.com or something like that. The issue is, the original Toshiba made HIR's are no longer made and the replacement HIR, due to Toshiba's patent on the technology, isn't really that much better than a 9005. You may get a little more lumen output, but not what the original's HIR's were.

On the left is a true, Toshiba HIR bulb. It can be noted by the bulbous glass housing and the slightly haziness to it. That's what makes the gasseous reaction that makes them brighter. On the right, is the revised, not as good as the original HIR due to that lack of reflective coating which is what reacts with the electric charge to make it burn brighter. I think these are the ones that may be cross referenced as 9011. The original HIR's were not 9011 IIRC, rather HIR1 and HIR2. Also, the kelvin rating for either isn't going to be much more than the 9005's 3,100k. I would say somewhere around 3,500k. But they won't give you the temps of a basic HID.

xs8RJF4.jpg

54YRgMm.jpg

Here they plug side (now flipped... The revised HIR is on the left, the original Toshiba HIR is on the right, yea a little blurry, but even the business side is a little different) ;

TH6nuaq.jpg

So the moral of the story is, if you can find a true HIR bulb with the bulbous/hazy housing, that's what you want. The revised knock-off's, no.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Well, I’m going to try the Phillips HIR1’s (getting them delivered fromAmazon to a local hub near our vacay rental). I don’t want to mess with anything here, I have limited tools with me, and don’t want to Deal with what I did coming down here. It was a marathon drive, we took one hour break in 22 hours of driving. We switched every four hours, going to change it to every two hours on way home. Most of our drive is at night

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Did you say you couldn't get the cheater harness that defeats the voltage management system on it?

I think you will like the lumen output of these HIR's, but again, you're not going to be anywhere near a HID or LED's kelvin rating unfortunately. So upon first installation, it might not 'seem' better, but in fact they are putting out more light.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info