Hiking, State Parks

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Since we're on the subject of hiking and such, what are people's go-to footware?

I've got a 10 year old pair of cheap TImberlands that need to be replaced, and would like something that can take a beating but won't be like anchors on my feet.

Edit: I think they're the original version of these:

Would like a dedicated hiker, and something lighter for like trails.

I just have a pair of waterproof low top Columbiaā€™s. They are really comfortable and so far so good with a lot of hiking and daily use miles on them.

when we hike in the cold winter months. I use these on my insulated Red Wing boots. They work super awesome on ice covered trails and wood steps.

IMG_9728.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Neighbor told us about a path right down the road, so we hiked for about 30 min

View attachment 112105

View attachment 112106
That's kind of like my dad's with ATV/fire trails. He's been there almost 20 years and just this past fall one of his neighbors mentioned a trail my dad wasn't familiar with. It was about 2000' feet from my dad's house and went through some areas that we always wondered how to get to "that trail", as we could see the trail from a higher elevation. The opening/trail head is so well covered that we've driven past it numerous times and never noticed it.

Reactions: Spivitz

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I just have a pair of waterproof low top Columbiaā€™s. They are really comfortable and so far so good with a lot of hiking and daily use miles on them.

when we hike in the cold winter months. I use these on my insulated Red Wing boots. They work super awesome on ice covered trails and wood steps.

View attachment 112089
Yaktrax rule . The ones I have also have spikes and grab well for running. I literally have run 10 miles on ice paths. Lol

944F22E7-3BB4-45BF-8CBD-3B9CE050315C.jpeg

B740F396-7E27-4E2D-8372-1D4570D5A99F.jpeg

C1157C05-8892-4E43-8C91-3DCF0AD59BAB.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Reactions: Spivitz

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Took the family out to breakfast today, then trooped over to Starved Rock. Other parents had the same idea as it was populated.

Put in some walking miles, then hit up Nonieā€™s Bakery/Coffee afterwards for iced coffees and pastries.

Bad roll over accident on I-80 near Seneca which Iā€™m not surprised as there was plenty of folks driving the speed limit in the left lane pissing off other motorists.

Overall, mission accomplished.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
White Pines State Park is good too. Small, but you can walk all the trails with some variety. Puts you 10-15 from Nachusa Grasslands, where you might also find some Bison roaming around.

Other direction (north) is Lowden and Chief Blackhawk.

yup that's another solid pick. I was gonna suggest that but not in the same area. Id love to stay in one of those cabins. Sounds like the restaurant is permanently closed tho.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
yup that's another solid pick. I was gonna suggest that but not in the same area. Id love to stay in one of those cabins. Sounds like the restaurant is permanently closed tho.
I like them because theyā€™re close to each other, and can do all three in one day.

Yeah, sad about the restaurant. There arenā€™t that many great dining options in Oregon either. Iā€™ll stop at Jayā€™s Drive-in, but need patience when ordering food.

For Nachusa, if you go about 3/4 mile north to W. Stone Barn Rd then make a left (west) you can take the road (gravel) to the end. Sometimes thatā€™s where the bison are. At the end of the road is a hiking area.

Thereā€™s a map there since the trail isnā€™t exactly obvious in a few places (west and northwest side). Just be warned itā€™s not to scale ?

Spent a few minutes looking for the trail back north and thought we were lost. Turns out we hadnā€™t gone far enough.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I like them because theyā€™re close to each other, and can do all three in one day.

Yeah, sad about the restaurant. There arenā€™t that many great dining options in Oregon either. Iā€™ll stop at Jayā€™s Drive-in, but need patience when ordering food.

For Nachusa, if you go about 3/4 mile north to W. Stone Barn Rd then make a left (west) you can take the road (gravel) to the end. Sometimes thatā€™s where the bison are. At the end of the road is a hiking area.

Thereā€™s a map there since the trail isnā€™t exactly obvious in a few places (west and northwest side). Just be warned itā€™s not to scale ?

Spent a few minutes looking for the trail back north and thought we were lost. Turns out we hadnā€™t gone far enough.

Great area. I was surprised when I saw the rock formations.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info