Hertz Is Unloading a Ton of Corvette Z06s

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Thats a good point in that some are corporate locations vs franchises. The locations that I rent from are airports so assuming that they are corporate. I’ve rented from a few local franchises and they seem to care more about the customer experience.

This was an indie franchise when we dealt with them. The cars were always clean and well kept, and the owner always let us make sure the cars were right.
Only reason we stopped was Avis made a deal with Firestone for maintaining their cars. If we matched that deal we'd lose money on every car.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The only place where I've gotten bad rental cars is a standalone Enterprise in Oak Lawn. Whenever I would take road trips for work, I would pick up a car there. They usually reeked of weed and were never cleaned very well. Most of them were towards the end of their life as rentals (over 30,000 miles).

One time I ended up getting a voucher for a free upgrade at my next rental after they gave me a car with ripped carpet and stains all over the seats. It was the only car they had available for me at the time, so I had no choice but to take it.

Otherwise every airport rental car I've had from Avis, Enterprise, or National were flawless and seemed well maintained.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Funny you said that. I have a big stack of cash burning a hole in my pocket, and that cheap one is at the clearwater hertz like 30 minutes from where I live. Thought crossed my mind a few times last night. But honestly Im looking for an already built 6th gen SS camaro or a used manual ZL1 most likely. I would still like to have back seats. But man that cheap Z06 is ZL1 money right now.
I think there is a built 6th gen ZL1 on LS1tech.com.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I think there is a built 6th gen ZL1 on LS1tech.com.
Yeah there is a few out there. Im looking for something around $50k. So built ZL1's are probably out. Stock manuals can be had for around that price. Or a built SS I should be able to score in the $40k's. I have time though. We are interviewing pool companies at the moment. Thats going to be as much as the car...

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I rented one of these in Vegas in January. Cost less than $100 for the day. best $100 I've ever spent. I would 10/10 buy one if I wasn't trying to get a house right now. NFG about yellow or automatic, that thing was so much fun to drive.
Will also comment on airport rental car companies. I've had a lot of rentals this past year (1-2 a month), and a lot of times (most of the time) I'd get some sort of hook up or great price on a rental. Only time I've been disappointed lately was the airport lot at LAX, most of their cars were pretty underwhelming, but LAX isn't in a very nice area anyway.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Had a few friends and ex-co workers who worked at the major rental companies locations here in the Chicago land area, They were store managers and were responsible for their fleet at the store they managed. They said oil changes were done often at the stores they ran. Oil changes were done per manufacture oil change specs or if the car was a rented more often they would change it quicker. Issue was they had a hard time getting shops to do the oil changes as the rental companies only wanted to give them an allowance of 20.00 for a oil change and we all know in late model cars its more then that even with non synthetic oil. So they had to Find they lowest priced shops in that stores location.

I know the staff who runs the main maintenance centers at ohare for the major companies they have a full time staff on site and do oil changes, tires, etc... the major rental companies have a deal with the oe manufactures as in for gm mopar etc. where rental companies can do warranty repairs from check engine lights, evaps, radio swap outs and even recall repairs on site but need to order Parts from a OE dealer. No aftermarket parts are allowed they can’t even order a reman aluminum wheel if a customer damaged it, due to insurance / liability issues as rental companies are self insured.

also the rental companies will total out rental cars quicker If it was an accident, anything other then cosmetic ( fender, bumpers etc) will be repaired, any heavy repairs most likely will be sold off to copart for rebuilders to buy them and sell them off. I have a customer who does this and sells to several New car dealers here in Chicago.

some cars are beat on forsure, but for the average person who’s renting a car it’s just a car to them. For us enthusiasts we know what we are renting and we’renot beating on it the whole time. Rental cars are no different then purchasing a ex-dealer loaner car. I know first hand what I have done, and customers to many cars of the years. More wary of ex service loaner cars then rentals .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info