⚡ EV Here's The Zero SR/S Before You're Supposed To See It

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

aamvtwzoqhqqzhidzttf.jpg

Late last week almost two minutes of footage featuring Zero’s new SR/S—which appears to be a fully-faired version of the company’s existing naked SR/F—was leaked to YouTube on a burner channel. Unfortunately the video was taken down before we could lay eyes on it, but thankfully some intrepid two-wheel enthusiasts at Motorcycle News took screen shots and scribbled down the specs that were touted in the video.

The official launch of the SR/S isn’t until the 24th, but it appears someone absconded with the video file and made it public a few days early.

The SR/S allegedly cribs the same ZF75-10 motor and ZF14.4kWh lithium-ion battery as the SR/F, which means 110 hp and 140 lb/ft of torque. Because the SR/S is more aerodynamic, however, the video [which we assume was produced by Zero] claims a 13% highway range improvement (from 99 miles on the SR/F to 112 miles on the SR/S). With Zero’s unique double-charger system the long-range version of the bike is said to be able to fully charge in the same 80 minutes.

I was really hoping the SR/S would be Zero’s first level-3 charger compatible bike, but alas...

lklyvoapnmc5lzpbibd6.jpg
Based on the images from the video, it looks like Zero has gone the opposite direction as most motorcycle manufacturers, designing its fully-faired “sport bike” to have a less aggressive riding position than its naked version of the same bike. These images depict a foot peg location slightly lower than on the SR/F and taller handlebars to boot. It appears to even feature a larger pillion seat for passengers.

e0hlkhuvzwzjrb4caprl.jpg

Reviews of Zero bikes have been nearly universally positive, and it’s likely this new SR/S will be more of the same. We will have to wait until the 24th to confirm everything here is fact, but it seems highly likely from where I’m sitting. Personally, I can’t wait to throw a leg over this thing.

FirstWorldProblems N20GT, 1MEANGT 1MEANGT your thoughts

Reactions: 1MEANGT

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It's more of a sport touring bike than it is a sport bike. Like Kawasaki's ZX's vs the ZX-R's, Yamaha's FZ vs YZF, Honda CB vs CBRR, Suzuki's GSX vs GSXR.... Probably won't be uncomfortable to ride, but at 100-110 miles of range you'll be getting off the bike far sooner for a recharge than getting cramped up on an ICE sport bike. Plus you can tell from the riding position it is more relaxed than aggressive. Look how high the grips are (handle bar? risers?) compared to the tank, and how far forward and down the pegs are.

The 10 minutes I spend at the pump to tank up, stretch, and get going is definitely superior to waiting for an 80 minute charge. At 100-110 miles we're typically not even close to our halfway point for riding. That'd really add a lot of time to your day. But the instant power and torque on tap would be fun.

When I would take out my dad's 98 ZX-11 I could go 160-170 miles between fill ups. That bike was so aerodynamically slippery, had clip-ons above the triple-clamp, and had a massive fuel tank you could just go for hours and hours without getting tired/sore. I'd run it from Glendale Heights to Galena and back without a complaint, stop, or fill up.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Price and range are the turn-offs for me. If I lived in the city and used it as a commuter bike then it would make more sense. They are a blast to ride as Anthony said. So different hearing nothing but a slight whine. For now I will stick with my dino juice powered machines. But they are coming along in strides.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They need to address the range. Most bikes get at least 150 miles to a tank, and it's not uncommon to ride 150-200 miles in a day.

Things needs 200 miles of range to sell in decent volumes IMO. The market for motorcycles is small enough, to further restrict that to only people that will spend over $20k AND will only use it as a commuter bike for work, that's not great.

I'd love an electric bike, but I couldn't even make it to lunch with the goons in Oakbrook and back without running out of battery. Nopenopenope

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Price and range are the turn-offs for me. If I lived in the city and used it as a commuter bike then it would make more sense. They are a blast to ride as Anthony said. So different hearing nothing but a slight whine. For now I will stick with my dino juice powered machines. But they are coming along in strides.
This guy....thing still costs less than your dirtbike and all the parts you put on it.

Range is the only turnoff

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
150-200 miles of street riding during the weekend in a day is nothing for me. I average closer to 250-300 on a nice day. On really nice days I’ve gone beyond 400 miles around. Mixed riding though, highway, country roads, etc.

On my little 600 (when not set up for the track) if I just cruise and hold 80-90mph l will easily turn 40+ mpg and push 140-150 on a single tank before the low fuel light comes on.

With my 1500cc cruiser with a 4.5gal tank I’ve pushed 150 miles riding two up with a windshield and still not hit reserve. I was sweating like a motherfucker. But knew I had about 20-25 miles before I was on fumes, lol.

A few years ago we did a backroad trip around Lake Superior and averaged 250-300 miles during daylight riding only. 100 miles between charges requiring 80 minutes would have killed us. Plus, it got cold so the heat coming off the engine was a pleasant by-product.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Because I don't ride the 600 enough I do end up ripping on it while in the country, so numbers are a little low, comparatively. If I knew how to embed this shit in my sig I would. No idea if it would be variable and update each time I add a new fill up to the average. This also includes a track day or two:

1582151403032.png

And this has a lot of stop/go traffic commuting to work, which as everyone knows just kills your average:
1582151344605.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info