Here we go again... The next tropical storm of doom for Florida

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Another "Life threatening storm" is heading toward Florida...

All doom and gloom will be talked up in the days leading up to it, only for it to fizzle as always... I mean, do you guys down there get tired of hearing the "Wolfe" warning over and over, to a point where you just almost ignore it anymore?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/forecasters-caribbean-storm-could-become-hurricane-135136817.html

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Rick Scott on Sunday warned that a tropical storm headed for the Florida Panhandle could become a Category 2 hurricane with winds up to 100 miles per hour by the time it makes landfall at midweek.

Scott issued an order for a state of emergency for 26 counties in the Florida Panhandle and the Big Bend area. The declaration will free up resources for storm preparation.

"This storm will be life-threatening and extremely dangerous," Scott said after receiving a briefing at the State Emergency Operations Center.

The governor warned that storm surge could affect areas of Florida not in the storm's direct path.

"If this storm hit Panama City, Tampa could still have storm surge," said Scott, referring to two Florida cities about 375 miles (600 kilometers) apart by highway. "Every family must be prepared."

Scott also activated 500 members of the Florida National Guard ahead of the storm.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center on Sunday upgraded Tropical Depression Michael to a named tropical storm, saying Michael earlier had winds of up to 50 mph (85 kph). But within a few hours it gained more strength and by Sunday evening, it had top sustained winds of 60 mph (95 kph).

The storm is expected to further strengthen into a hurricane by Monday night or Tuesday as its center moves over the Yucatan Channel, crosses the Gulf of Mexico and nears the Florida Panhandle coast sometime Wednesday.

Forecasters advised residents along the northeastern and central U.S. Gulf Coast to monitor the storm's progress.

The north Florida city of Tallahassee on Sunday opened two locations where residents could get sandbags in case of flooding.

"While the impacts are still uncertain, our area could experience increased wind activity and heavy rainfall, which could cause localized flooding and downed trees," Tallahassee officials said in a statement.

Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum, who is the Democratic nominee for governor, had planned to campaign in South Florida Monday and Tuesday, but he said he would return to Tallahassee to help with storm preparations.

The city of Pensacola tweeted to residents, "Be sure you have your emergency plan in place."

The storm was located by 11 p.m. ET Sunday about 105 miles (165 kilometers) east-southeast of Cozumel, Mexico and moving to the north at about 5 mph (7 kph). Tropical storm winds extended out 170 miles (275 kilometers), primarily to the northeast and southeast of the storm's center. It also was about 135 miles (215 kilometers) south-southwest of the western tip of Cuba.

A tropical storm warning was in effect for the Cuban provinces of Pinar del Rio and the Isle of Youth as well as the coast of Mexico from Tulum to Cabo Catoche. A warning indicates tropical storm conditions are expected, in this case, within 24 hours.

The hurricane center warned that the storm could produce a foot (30 centimeters) of rain in western Cuba, potentially triggering flash floods and mudslides in mountainous areas. The rains in Cuba's west were expected to begin Sunday night and continue Monday.

An Air Force hurricane hunter airplane was sent into the storm to investigate, the hurricane center said.

Michael is the 13th named storm of the 2018 hurricane season, according to hurricane center spokesman Dennis Feltgen.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
you do realize that last storm, florence, actually fucked shit up and killed people, right?

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Does this affect Tampa or Orlando in anyway?

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I matched up the MSM radar map to weather channel's and the storm is twice as big and much more developed on the MSM. They photoshopped a tropical storm. LOL

This is a tropical storm that may or may not turn into a weak hurricane.

Most of us down here laugh at the MSM warnings. We all know you watch out for Cat 3 or above and don't get concerned about the rest.

lastls1

Reaction score
I lived in Orlando previously. I second what’s stated above. No one payed attention to anything below a cat 3.

Anything below is basically a really windy warm rain shower.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
It's ok guys. Flyn the weatherman said so ;)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
you do realize that last storm, florence, actually fucked shit up and killed people, right?
Yes, but see below, which is what I was driving at. Even with Florence, up until the storm actually hit, they were pretty much predicting that the Carolinas would be wiped of the map, millions dead, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. It just ended up dumping a metric fuckton of rain on them but not the holy hell of devastation that the media was working up to a lather the week before the storm.

I matched up the MSM radar map to weather channel's and the storm is twice as big and much more developed on the MSM. They photoshopped a tropical storm. LOL

This is a tropical storm that may or may not turn into a weak hurricane.

Most of us down here laugh at the MSM warnings. We all know you watch out for Cat 3 or above and don't get concerned about the rest.
I lived in Orlando previously. I second what’s stated above. No one payed attention to anything below a cat 3.

Anything below is basically a really windy warm rain shower.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yes, but see below, which is what I was driving at. Even with Florence, up until the storm actually hit, they were pretty much predicting that the Carolinas would be wiped of the map, millions dead, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. It just ended up dumping a metric fuckton of rain on them but not the holy hell of devastation that the media was working up to a lather the week before the storm.
who gives a shit?

lives & property were saved, shit went smoothly... :rofl:

as ive said before on here, people who bask in destruction and death from storms really confuse me, especially when they are upset that more destruction and death didn't occur.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
MSM are probably on their knees praying to Allah that the storm turn into a Cat 4 so they can get their moments in front of the cameras and the advertising dollars that go with hurricane reporting.

If that doesn't happen, they'll pretend it's going to as long as they can.

BTW, I'm South of Tampa and it's cloudy with no wind or rain right now. Just finished cleaning the pool. Gotta do the pre hurricane prep... :smile:

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I don't want any destruction or loss of life whatsoever. But Mother nature is gonna fuck up or not fuck up what she wants...

Then there is the MSM...

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
https://careers.weathergroup.com/
MSM are probably on their knees praying to Allah that the storm turn into a Cat 4 so they can get their moments in front of the cameras and the advertising dollars that go with hurricane reporting.

BTW, I'm South of Tampa and it's cloudy with no wind or rain right now. Just finished cleaning the pool. Gotta do the pre hurricane prep...

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score

BTW, I'm South of Tampa and it's cloudy with no wind or rain right now. Just finished cleaning the pool. Gotta do the pre hurricane prep... :smile:
wait you're south of tampa?

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score

What's status? How's tomorrow and Fri looking?

Also, is your PM box full or what?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Let me look out the window for my official meteorological report.

Uh, it's partly cloudy.

Alexa, weather?

89* with scattered afternoon thunderstorms. Low of 78*.

Tampa will probably get this weather tomorrow. Sunny/partly cloudy in the A.M. and the usual chance of afternoon showers/storms. Weather is supposed to get better once the hurricane passes.

Hurricane is in the Gulf and is expected to hit the panhandle on Wednesday at Cat 2 or Cat 3 level. Looks like the center is about 1/3 of the way up Florida now, way out in the Gulf.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
They're saying the Carolina's are gonna get hit with it when it goes back to Tropical Storm status, which is all they need.

lastls1

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of trolling going on here but I kinda have to agree with him.

This storm is minor at best. Yet any site I go to they are using the words “monstrous” “huge” “get out now’” on their pages.

Like seriously? Katrina was a monster, sandy was a monster storm.

This is a rain shower. The only people who need to worry are the ones directly on the coast because of the storm surge. Everyone else should do what we always did. Get water, get booze, and chill and watch the storm.

lastls1

Reaction score
And people wonder why no one takes any warnings seriously lol. Because you make a big deal out of a wet weather day.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
THANKS WEATHERMANLASTLS1

NOW BACK TO YOU GUYS IN THE STUDIO

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Weather channel just had a new video graphic of storm surge levels. The software put the broadcaster in a half circle and had the storm surge visually represented behind him. He started with 3' and kept going up. The background graphic had the trees whipping around and the cars flooded at 6'. Finally, he said imagine if the surge gets to 9' or above and the graphic jumped up to 12' or so of boiling water with trees nearly going sideways from the wind.

Old people who aren't used to CGI trickery are going to be running for their lives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom