Here is a good Question for you guys....

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Im starting on yanking the Cobra engine tonight, but realize I have a little hurdle in front of me....
The car has the Kenny Brown Strut Tower Brace on it, which eliminates the Caster/Camber Plates. It has to come out to remove the engine, but will throw the alignment off if I remove it.

How the hell am I gonna keep everything from moving around when I take this brace off? Thanks in avance! :)

01bluesnake

Cobra Brigade Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you can put a jack under one control arm at a time to keep from the strut coming out , loosen the strut bar nuts, remove the nuts and then lift up the strut bar on the supported side and thread on a nut or two back on the plate to keep the strut from dropping, go to the next side and repeat and you can remove the strut bar at that time.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
Im starting on yanking the Cobra engine tonight, but realize I have a little hurdle in front of me....
The car has the Kenny Brown Strut Tower Brace on it, which eliminates the Caster/Camber Plates. It has to come out to remove the engine, but will throw the alignment off if I remove it.

How the hell am I gonna keep everything from moving around when I take this brace off? Thanks in avance! :)
It probably will throw off the camber all together. I think you should ditch that brace all together and go and get yourself some mm castercamber plates. This way you will never have to deal with this again.

OP
Zack

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
It probably will throw off the camber all together. I think you should ditch that brace all together and go and get yourself some mm castercamber plates. This way you will never have to deal with this again.
Haha, take a ride in this car.... the brace aint going anywhere!

OP
Zack

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
If you can put a jack under one control arm at a time to keep from the strut coming out , loosen the strut bar nuts, remove the nuts and then lift up the strut bar on the supported side and thread on a nut or two back on the plate to keep the strut from dropping, go to the next side and repeat and you can remove the strut bar at that time.
Beautiful, thanks.

blck10th

Reaction score
Aren't you going to run the 2.2 KB? Will it fit with the brace?

Why do you say you need the brace?

OP
Zack

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Dennis set the car up incredibly well.
Im not fixing whats not broke!

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
get a plumb bob and tape it to the hood and center it on the strut.... going through this right now at the shop.

01bluesnake

Cobra Brigade Mad Scientist
Reaction score
ok, just looked at the pic's again. I was looking at the pic with the stock camber plates, not the aftermarket ones.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Reaction score
Why not just spend the $50 to get it aligned after the swap?

OP
Zack

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
get a plumb bob and tape it to the hood and center it on the strut.... going through this right now at the shop.
Hey doofus you can spin the strut completely left or right and the plumb bob aint gonna do shit.
Now go catch up on your beauty sleep. :eek: :alcoholic

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
Hey doofus you can spin the strut completely left or right and the plumb bob aint gonna do shit.
Now go catch up on your beauty sleep. :eek: :alcoholic
who cares?? The strut is bolted to the spindle, so itll stay stationary on the bottom.. unless you got something funny going on, i have been doing this with my own race car for 15yrs..

OP
Zack

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
who cares?? The strut is bolted to the spindle, so itll stay stationary on the bottom.. unless you got something funny going on, i have been doing this with my own race car for 15yrs..
I see your point, but there is play in the steering rack which could affect alignment if the assembly 'twists'

BTW good morning BOB! :dancenana:

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
I see your point, but there is play in the steering rack which could affect alignment if the assembly 'twists'

BTW good morning BOB! :dancenana:
no, your spindle connects to your outer tie rod ends... believe me, this works and you shouldnt have any "play"... ive been doing this for YEARS.. the only thing your c/c plates SHOULD affect is caster and camber and a LITTLE toe... you adjust your outer tie rod ends for 99% of your steering.. if you put the center of the strut back to where it started, your c/c will be VERY CLOSE..

and BTW, good morning back!

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
Haha, take a ride in this car.... the brace aint going anywhere!
I understand that aspect of it, but there are other braces out there that don't mount on the cc plates but the shock well instead. And I bet that 2.2 kb will not fit with the brace.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom