Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-most-and-least-stolen-cars-in-america-1836894418

The list is put together by the Highway Loss Data Institute, an arm of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The HLDI derived its data from the insurance claims people filed for stolen vehicles.

By looking at claims per insured vehicle year, HLDI’s theft reports allow people to compare the relative risk of each vehicle. In contrast, other most-stolen-vehicle lists report raw numbers of thefts and are therefore dominated by the most common vehicles on the road.

HLDI’s whole-vehicle theft report differs from its standard theft report, which looks at all theft claims, including those for stolen vehicle parts or for items taken from a vehicle.

To isolate whole-vehicle claims, HLDI looked at the amounts paid for total losses under collision coverage, which is generally the residual value of the vehicle. If the payment associated with a theft claim is around the same as would be expected for a total loss under collision coverage for the same vehicle of the same age, it is considered to be a whole-vehicle theft claim.

h65Ru3l.png

T5t5wuR.png

YphWLl9.png

xmG2iEc.png

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Oh, I have one of the top 3 stolen cars. Odd, never figured it'd be on anyone's 'top' list. I wonder if it's from idiots leaving the keys in the car. I thought most modern cars were very difficult to steal without the key fob....that is unless it's picked up on a flat bed and then dragged somewhere.

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
WTF? oh shit, for some reason I thought Jeep Wrangler was going to be in the list due to the super easy access to get in and open the hood.

So Criminals don't like Fords? is it because they know they are going to break-down down the road?

I remember when the Mercury Marauder was on top list.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
This is a very interesting list to say the least.

Didn't think the Dodge's would be stolen because of parts needed because they break down all the time.

Over 3 years running strong on my Durango. Only has a software issue on the trans, but, I still drive it 7 days a week.

I do see a ton of Charger's as they are very popular cars on the road, so, I can only agree that would be one of the top stolen cars for sure, haha.

Tesla makes sense because of the live track, but, then again, they are overpriced and not worth the effort to steal. Plus, they most likely don't appeal to thieves as easily as the other cars on the list .

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I see a bunch of Chrysler products on Facebook marketplace getting parted (I’m IN Chicago) it screams stolen to me.. I’m talking like 2016 grand Cherokee srt’s and the 392 chargers and such. Engine/trans for sale, random interior parts for sale, you can see there is some body damage half the time and it’s in some bumfuck looking backyard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info